Photographer in need of subjects

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugeyed.fr

Reaction score
I've been photographing live inverts for three years now and at the beginning of every spring season I try to think of ways I can improve my photography. Atlanta has some great insect diversity, but a lot of the time I will spend three or four hours looking for bugs and come home to find I have only one shot that's worth sharing. The invert world is always full of surprises, but seeing photos from photographers in southeast Asia and other parts of the world leaves me feeling envious.

A few weeks ago, after two or three frustrating hikes, I remembered a pet Ghost mantis a friend of mine had and it all clicked. I scoured YouTube and watched hours and hours of videos from Peter, Kevin Young and others. My fly cultures just shipped and will be ordering my first mantids this week!

Y'all can check out my photography at bugeyed.fr (French domain but just my initials ha!) or on IG at @bugeyed.fr. Happy to have found the community!

-Fraser

chinese_mantis_bugeyedfr.jpg

Welcome and so excited to see more of your work!  I just got my first ghost mantis earlier this week and have been trying to take photos with my phone.  Can’t wait to see what someone who knows what they are doing will do!

Welcome and so excited to see more of your work!  I just got my first ghost mantis earlier this week and have been trying to take photos with my phone.  Can’t wait to see what someone who knows what they are doing will do!
You should get yourself a little macro clip to clip to your phone. It'll make your life a lot easier since the lens on your phone isn't going to be able to focus on anything closer than 5 or 6 inches. Search them on Amazon... you'll thank me later! 

Welcome to the forum! I'm a super amateur macro photographer (I have one of those clip on lenses you mentioned) but I love photographing my animals! I'd love to if you could give me some tips. 

- MantisGirl13 

Latest posts