Phy phasmid collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, double wow

just got mine in the post. P oreaphaetus, P. shutlei, Sicofolium, Neohirasea and Indians...

If I may ask - do you think I could mix species in a big enclosure, or small enclosures per species?

Yes you can mix them in a big enclosure provided they need the same conditions(temp,hygro).But I would avoid "toxic" phasmids like Peruphasma or Oreophoetes as they may hurt other phasmids with their squirt!Careful too with Oreophoetes as they can concentrate quinoleine(supposely harmless but few studies have been done)and I am not talking about the smell!!So keep Peruphasma and Oreophoetes in 2 separates enclosures,it is better.Plus Peruphasma s. just hate humidity and Oreophoetes needs high level of humidity. :)

Yes you can mix them in a big enclosure provided they need the same conditions(temp,hygro).But I would avoid "toxic" phasmids like Peruphasma or Oreophoetes as they may hurt other phasmids with their squirt!Careful too with Oreophoetes as they can concentrate quinoleine(supposely harmless but few studies have been done)and I am not talking about the smell!!So keep Peruphasma and Oreophoetes in 2 separates enclosures,it is better.Plus Peruphasma s. just hate humidity and Oreophoetes needs high level of humidity. :)
quinoleine - i think unless you ingest it should not be dangerous?

so basically best to put them in 3 enclosures...

1.P oreaphaetus,

2.P. shutlei,

3.Sicofolium, Neohirasea and Indians..

right?

thankyou :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It SHOULD be ok.But do not forget a damp soil all time for siccifolium.

You can do what I do.Simply introduce young nymphs 1 by 1 so you can check how they behave with their "cousins".

I have an enclosure with 5 different species mixed all together:lol:

wooow.. These are really cool, especially the Phyllium ericoriai !!