Phyllocrania paradoxa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelthan

Reaction score
Hi I have these 3 ghosts and there are no more abiable because they guy who sold them to me sold all the other ones he had to a guy that wont trade or sell, I think there are two females and a male, could you help me sexing them please

the "male"

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02752.jpg

female for shure

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

female?

DSC02764.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

I'm not certain of the first one, but it could be a male. Can you post a clearer picture of the head crown?

The second and third one are both females.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeth, there's an easier way to sex ghosts, just look at their horns :)

it can be done from this instar already, take a pic of the front and it'll be easy.

and last 2 are certainly females, first one is a male to me.

Last one looks female to me, but I'm new to ghosts. How do you tell from the crown? What instar can you use tell from the crown?

Last one looks female to me, but I'm new to ghosts. How do you tell from the crown? What instar can you use tell from the crown?
this way:

this is a female:

3394906390_9ac552df1a.jpg

and here's the male

3141365000_571518325f.jpg

tell me, do you see a diffrence in the crowns?

also the male's antennea are thicker.

... macro junkie, if you read this please post that comparrison pic you made once, my pics suck.

i can't find the old thread

My guess is male, two females, too, but you'll find out for sure, soon enough! The "crown" is much more pronounced in the female, and the male has much longer antennae, though that is more apparent as they get older. There's an easy way to tell which ones are which in the first instar, though. When they are all frisking around in a communal pot, just yell, "Get ready! We're going out to dinner!" In about two minutes, the males will all be lined up ready to go, and the females will still be combing their antennae! Works every time! :lol:

Thanks idolomantis for the pics :) ...So the female's crown is broader, 'leafier' and as Phil says, more pronounced?

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02808.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

The green oneas molted this morning , and the black one hasnt thats why I cant compare him with the others

what do you think( I thought I post ed this but I cant find my post I hope is not on the wrong topic)

Looks like they're all females.

if you compare the crowns of your nimphs and the one in yeatzee's pic you that the latter has a much slender crown.

Looks like they're all females.if you compare the crowns of your nimphs and the one in yeatzee's pic you that the latter has a much slender crown.
oh thats terrible because there is noone selling them here anymore:(