Physiology of mantis breeding response

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devetaki9

Reaction score
Ok. Not having had time to dig for information yet, a question. Without humanizing our darlings and projecting human physiology and emotional response.... Can mantids possibly respond to human scent? Voice? Can anyone direct me to a website that has done any kind of research above and beyond the normal anatomy?

Everything I have read only allows for certain mantids to have the auditory organ and then it seems to be males only.

All of my males ( EVERY ONE) will start with a mating response while on my hand when I am interacting with them. Is this just because they can pick up the females pheromones? I have everyone in the same room.

I wear no scent, NO product if any kind on my skin or hair as a general rule if I am at home. I do wear deodorant ^.^ Partly because I am allergic to life and mainly because I don't want any of the insects, amphibians, reptiles or birds to be exposed to any kind of chemical .

Is this mating response just that, automatic even if not right by a female mantis? Do I just smell good to my boys? Any opinions and input of any kind would be greatly welcomed. Any sites that I could research also welcomed.

I don't mind that they love me but they don't seem to want any part of a female mantis >.<

You need to bite the head off of one of your boys while infront of the others. Then they will get the message you are not safe. =p

Lol I can't say in all my years of handling I have ever had this problem. Thankfully all my boys have been little gentlemen.

Lol. They are gentlemen but they seem to prefer me over a female mantis >.^ I'm going to assume its the female mantis pheromones that are present in the room and just the stimulation of being on my hand. That would be the scientific conclusion for me. Also gonna go research it but there isn't much that I can find on these guys aside from the cut and dried, already known A&P

In my experience, males can pick up the females pheromones from a good distance away...this puts the male "on lookout"....many times, the presence of a human finger often triggers this mating "grab and search" behavior...it is mostly the same size and shape and feel of a female....so they latch on thinking its a female... well at least this my view on these kinda occurances...

In my experience, males can pick up the females pheromones from a good distance away...this puts the male "on lookout"....many times, the presence of a human finger often triggers this mating "grab and search" behavior...it is mostly the same size and shape and feel of a female....so they latch on thinking its a female... well at least this my view on these kinda occurances...
Yep. A male mantids goal in life is to mate. I've had it happen many times but not really all that often. I doubt any scents we wear would be similar to mantid pheromones.