Pics of Wuwu's creatures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_photo

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Wuwu today. He brought over some mantids and leaf bugs.

Here are some samples from our photosession.

violin_1107.jpg

violin_1104.jpg

orchid_1077.jpg

leaf_1133.jpg

ghost_1023.jpg

mantis_1121.jpg

OMG! I am new around these parts and now I am in "overwhelm mode".

I agree, these are beautiful pictures, and beautiful critters. Waiting to find out how you made the background black. Barb

Nice pictures, i like the first mantid, and the flower mantid too:) By the way, how do you get the black background on the photos?
Thanks fo the compliments everyone!

I can't thank Wuwu enough for taking the time to share his mantises with me.

To answer your question, I used flash and a black background for these shots.

Hi Chris, I was thinking that if you use a lighter background for mantis with darker color such as ghost mantis the effect may be better? i am aware that a lighter color background like white may ruin the pic due to light reflection but maybe using blue or green backgournd? Just my $0.02 opinion.

Hi Chris, I was thinking that if you use a lighter background for mantis with darker color such as ghost mantis the effect may be better? i am aware that a lighter color background like white may ruin the pic due to light reflection but maybe using blue or green backgournd? Just my $0.02 opinion.
Good point.

However, I like the dramatic effect of the black background. I think what I will do next time is try a different lighting technique to help seperate it from the background.

Great pics!! Hoping you'll satisfy my curiosity: Digital or film? Were you using a ring flash? Will you share what camera and lens you were using?

- Kristin

Great pics!! Hoping you'll satisfy my curiosity: Digital or film? Were you using a ring flash? Will you share what camera and lens you were using?- Kristin
Digital.

Canon 20D with Canon 100mm 2.8 macro.

I used studio strobes.