Picture time again

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganelise9

Reaction score
Isn't it always picture time?

zorak.jpg

Zorak. He's handsome. B. mendica

ghost.jpg

My ghostie (molted yesterday).

L2-1.jpg

Hierodula majuscula

L2-2.jpg

L2-3.jpg

Seriously, do I have all males again?
I asked this on the thread with the pics of mine, but all of mine (5) pretty much look male to me too. I noticed this in Keeping Aliens:

"Small nymphs of some species appear to be all males until the fifth instar." (p8)

I'm wondering if this is maybe one of those, given that all of mine and yours too look male? Mine are currently third instar.

By the way great pics. Do you like them? I'd have a tough time picking a fave species out of the 9 I have, but I think they'd be in the running.

Last edited by a moderator:
that ghost is amazing! any chance of my dark brown one turning that color in a later molt?
I don't know how old your ghost is. Some turn greenish for a bit right after molting, and it usually fades to brown from what I understand

Oh my look at Zoracs antenna! He is very cute!
Yeah, that's not the best pic of them, but his antennae turned out awesome!

I asked this on the thread with the pics of mine, but all of mine (5) pretty much look male to me too. I noticed this in Keeping Aliens:

"Small nymphs of some species appear to be all males until the fifth instar." (p8)

I'm wondering if this is maybe one of those, given that all of mine and yours too look male? Mine are currently third instar.

By the way great pics. Do you like them? I'd have a tough time picking a fave species out of the 9 I have, but I think they'd be in the running.
I wondered about that being the case too. I kinda hope so. I've had a lot of mantids now, and I've never gotten a pair (and only a couple females ever).

I've only had the H. majusculas for a day, but they're really interesting. I look forward to seeing them change as they grow.

There's a lot of color shift as they molt, seems like. I have one very green one, with red eyes, and some that have shifted between quite red and more tan with a little red. One that was really red turned pink last molt. :)

I hope the green one stays green... need to get pics of him(?)

The second pic in the second post is so cute!

Well, I looked at my H. majuscula again, and I think I do have two pairs. Sweet. Also, it looks like my ghost might stay green.

phyllo1.jpg

phyllo2.jpg

And here's my Budwing

fry3.jpg