pinhead crickets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whamslam3

Reaction score
should i start feeding my L4 African Mantis pinhead crickets now? or should i just keep feeding it fruit flies until L5? or does it not rly matter as long as it is eating? :lol:

should i start feeding my L4 African Mantis pinhead crickets now? or should i just keep feeding it fruit flies until L5? or does it not rly matter as long as it is eating? :lol:
Try one and see what happens, if it doesn't want it you'll know but keep an eye on it. If it hasn't eaten it in reasonably short order, given the opportunity then take it out so it doesn't cause your nymph harm.

I have no experience with African mantids but the Aussie sp. are pretty voracious. They will tackle anything up to 3/4 its size.

So, if you feel African mantids are up for the challenge, go for it!

Be wary though. Too big a cricket with an appetite may see them switch roles.

Keep us posted

L4 african should be able to eat almost adult crickets. I cannot imagine an L4 african still eating fruit flies. There is no set stage or time where you have to move up. If it will fit in its front legs it should be able to eat it.

ok thnx for all your help guys :D . ill see if i can get some pinheads this week and ill see what happens :)

ok thnx for all your help guys :D . ill see if i can get some pinheads this week and ill see what happens :)
Are you sure it is L4? Pinheads seem way too small for that size african mantis. Pinheads are called that for a reason, they are not much larger than large fruit flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it is L4? Pinheads seem way too small for that size african mantis. Pinheads are called that for a reason, they are not much larger than large fruit flies.
im prity sure its L4. could be L3 tho. i can take a pic of it and have it posted soon so u can c how big it is.

MymantisScyther.jpg

MymantisScyther2.jpg

i tried to get some good pics but they just were not comin out good cuz i did not have flash on cuz i didnt want to blind him lol :lol: so i hope these are clear enough to tell how big it is. :p u can see the molt on the bottom of the cup haha :) i havnt takin it out yet.

Flash won't hurt him lol.

He appears big enough to eat way larger than pinheads. Try 1/4 or 1/2 inch crickets. He could probably do fine on one at a time of the larger ones .

Flash won't hurt him lol.He appears big enough to eat way larger than pinheads. Try 1/4 or 1/2 inch crickets. He could probably do fine on one at a time of the larger ones .
And if you're feeding it bigger crickets, it won't eat as many of them. So you can invest in a box of larger crickets as apposed to buying two boxes of smaller ones.

Yay, 2nd instar :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
o ok thnx for the hlp guys :D . if i do start giving it crickets how many a day should i start to feed him?

o ok thnx for the hlp guys :D . if i do start giving it crickets how many a day should i start to feed him?
Depends how fast it was eating the smaller ones. For example, if it had one small cricket a day, feed it a larger cricket every two or three days.

I like to feed them till they're full :D

Maybe I baby them too much but I just love them so much and I know when I get hungry I want food so...

You need to determine some of thsi stuff on your own. There are no set amounts. If the mantis is plump you're feeding enough. Depending on the size of the mantis it could take 20 fruit flies or just one cricket. I feed every other day.

Latest posts