Pink slipper orchid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
The style reminds me of some of the pitcher plants and remains among my favorite plants. I saw this beauty at a rest stop in PA the other day. I've never seen this plant in real life and it was thrilling to see.

PinkSlipperOrchid.jpg

I bought these guys off ebay since they're supposed to be easy for most people to keep. I'm hoping they come back next year. yellowSlipperOrchid.jpg

Cypripedium parviflorum I believe.

Do a google on cultivating C. parviflorum and mix up a soil recipe you find that's consistently recommended by several sites. Likely you will need some specific ingredients such as pine needles (collect them yourself and bake them at 200*F for an hour or so let cool in the oven), oak leaf mold (buy or collect yourself), sphagnum moss, etc.

One year I grew a Queen ladyslipper rootstock or C. reginae - the MN state flower (got from a licensed nursery), it grew and bloomed the year of planting but didn't come back the following year. I had it in a 1/2 whiskey barrel planter with asiatic lillies and some other small woodland plants. The barrel may have froze too hard - though the lillies came back every year for 1/2 a decade now. If yours is in the ground it may be more sheltered from extreme temps.