Pinning

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Hemptress

Reaction score
So i was recently thinking about possibly drying out a deadleaf once he dies... i usually just get rid of them once they pass, but i really like the way this one looks. i was wondering if anyone has some recommendations on how to do it... my idea is to pin it so that it dries out, then move it into some sort of photo album or something so i can possibly start a collection. im worried that it may not be a good idea to put in a album like that after... what do you guys think?

I would put it in its final display position while its still hydrated. Once they're dried out, they're very brittle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a sheet of styrofoam. I put one insect pin through the mantis center to hold it down. I then use a lot of insect pins to position it how I want. Once I get it in position I cover it with a paper towel to block light and set it aside somewhere where it can't be disturbed and wait. Once it dries I remove all but the center pin and place it in the case.

I've done this with a couple bugs, so i'm no expert. I would just advise you to do it in a very, very well ventilated area as the fumes from the resin are highly toxic and unpleasant. Other than the safety concerns, it's a a really neat process. also you may want to practice pouring. I find that keeping air bubbles from happening is difficult and you wouldn't want to make a mess of your only try with your specimen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking into pinning a while back but with the bigger ones you have to scoop the guts out.

I don't know if I'm up for that. Especially with my babies!

I was looking into pinning a while back but with the bigger ones you have to scoop the guts out.

I don't know if I'm up for that. Especially with my babies!
You don't HAVE to. I didn't for a long time, it just takes them longer to dry out. Now I am trying to place mine under a tightly stretched plastic sheet to hold them down instead of pins. I bought some like that and I liked how flat they were compared to my pinning.

alrighty, i have a question!

is it normal for a bug to smell after its been pinned and is drying out? or have i done something wrong?

also ive noticed one losing its color and turning brown, help please

Latest posts