Playing dead

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccadd131

Reaction score
My ghost mantis has always been a bit more aloof. At least compared to the other I had -- who she ate. Since her adult molt, she has been even more so. If she notices me looking at her, even if she's eating, she will drop everything and just stare back at me. Sometimes, she will even "go limp" and sit there. It was a bit unnerving at first, but I've come to the realization that she may just be playing dead. Is that normal behavior? Should I be worried? I'm still new to keeping mantids, and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

I have a ghost that plays dead. It is really funny to watch. None of my other mantids have done it yet.

My male ghost occasonally played dead much to my amusement. It was the full on drop to his back legs crumpled routine. He always perked up pretty quick though. It sounds like your girl is just on the timid side. You might find adding some leaves/plants if you don't already have them in there helpful. My ghost loved hiding amongst his decor. This is a species that really misses coverage if there is none.

I had a very goofy male ghost. He thought he was a good acter but he really wasn't. I love the different personalities these guys have.

He would flip himself all over his cage then drop to the floor. He would look at me for a second then turn away as if he was thinking:

" oh no! She sees me!" He would look away from me and try harder to look dead. Little silly!

The three I currently keep all act completely different around me. The female will "play dead" whenever I first approach her and then slowly pick herself back up once she's comfortable. However, if i simply pick her up, she has no issues crawling up and down my arm. She hates being right-side up and will do everything in her power to find a way to hang upside-down.

One male is extremely friendly, and will immediately go to my hand if I put it in the enclosure. He loves exploring and has a hefty appetite. I've learned that I have to take him out first, because he'll jump onto my hand if I'm trying to grab one of the other two.

The last is a little runt (makes me worried that he'll get eaten). He doesn't like being held, but doesn't play dead. However, he is very cautious when I approach. he'll frequently jet off in the opposite direction if I do try to pick him up.

Ok, so ghosts are a little quirky... Good to know cause I was going to get a psychiatrist for mine *grin definitely a different mind set on this mantis than the oxyopsis or the Tenoderas lol. Still love him <3

Latest posts