Please help, ants invading

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I found little black ants running around in my millipede tank this morning. I removed all of my millipedes and put them in a distant part on the room.

How can I stop the ants from invading other tanks and habitats? I know they are one of the most determined creatures on earth!

You need to find where they have made access. I had some come in through the window. Find the trail and work your way back to where they have made access. I use cayenne pepper to form a barrier at the access point and they won't cross it. If I am able to locate where they are coming from outside the house, I soak the ant hole with raid.

Thanks, I will try. We have big black ones too. I took my hot glue gun to all the little holes in my net cages to stop the ants getting into them. I live in an apartment complex so I can only do so much. I put out a borax/suger blend for the big ones. They like it.

For now I have stopped the ants from getting back into the tank.

If you don't have any insects you want to keep healthy roaming free you should use terro http://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Killer-Liquid-Baits-pre-filled/dp/B000HJBKMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434305120&sr=8-1&keywords=terro+ant+killer&pebp=1434305125719&perid=55BB88224602466284DE

For me personally I actually just released several nymphs in my insect room and within like two days......no more ants. Doing it my way is kind of only an option if 1 you live somewhere that's OK (so probably an owned property, so no apartments) and 2 you accept the "consequences" of not being able to use any chemicals. If I now set bait traps like those, I'd be poising ants that would then get eaten by mantids and would likely kill the mantis. I wish you luck thou, ants are the bane of my bug room, those turds are always eating my feeders fresh veggies and my mantids honey.

I was able to stop them. No more train of little ants. I will try the tarro. Right now the ants are drawn in another direction with a small bottle lid full of honey. I will replace it with tarro.

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate them.

Latest posts