Please Help!! Does anyone know why my orchid mantises leg looks like this? Both of her back legs look like this.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FabioFabiatic

Reaction score
By the way, she is acting normal, but she did reject food for the first time since I've had her.

2020-06-25.jpg

Update: She isn't using those 2 legs and has eaten off part of her antennas.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. She is acting normal? If she's acting normal, I wouldn't worry, but if she's not, try honey water and quarantine her.

- MantisGirl13 

No, she is not acting normal now. At first, she was, now she is just hanging from the top of her enclosure with the 2 legs hanging. She also appears to have eaten off parts of her antenna. She is still energetic but is moved around lethargically.  My Giant Asian mantis is having similar but less severe symptoms. I believe it might be because of a "Zoo Med Sandblasted Grapevine" I put in each of their enclosures. I'm just hoping they won't die and a molt can maybe fix this. :(

Ok. First, remove everything from the enclosures. Put the mantids in clean, bare containers with paper towel substrate. Feed honey water and healthy insects. Keep the temps and humidity normal and monitor the mantids closely. Keep us updated!

- MantisGirl13 

Update: Both the Orchid and Giant Asian are still alive. They both still act lethargic and have bad coordination. Although they both are now hanging upside down just fine, and the orchid is using all 4 legs. And they both still seem energetic. I have been able to feed them honey, and as much water as they will drink witch is quite a lot right now. Hopefully with time and a good molt they can recover or at least get better. Especially the Giant Asian, he is a very beautiful reddish-pink.  

Latest posts