Plunged into the world of centipede keeping!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reptiliatus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm not sure what inspired this interest because honestly, although I love animals passionately, I have always had some sort of a fear of centipedes. The speed, the legs, the venom, they gave me the heebie-jeebies! I always like to research the husbandry of various animals, regardless if I own any or not and so basically I started learning more about them, their care, etc, watched some youtube videos and.....

Well here I am since last week/this week's purchases xD! Yes, I know how venomous and large Scolopendra are, I have been keeping inverts for years and I would never buy such an animal without knowing this information.

What have I gotten myself into... ;)

Enjoy!

Giant Vietnamese centipede (Scolopendra subspinipes)

1D5D45B6-C1A0-4D35-BC9F-3A0D3FEBA8C5-231-0000006466F7616F_zpsc757216d.jpg

Tanzanian blue leg (Scolopendra sp.) don't worry, she's in a new enclosure now :) .

B1A74252-78EA-4D8C-AF34-698168DEEA3A-231-000000646B5E6A9D_zpsbc667299.jpg

Beautiful and fascinating creatures! <3

I would love to keep some, but the venom... and I have a curious kid. I just go and look at the centipedes in the local exotics store for now...

I really would want to have some mothers with their eggs and young. I love how they wrap around their babies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful and fascinating creatures! <3

I would love to keep some, but the venom... and I have a curious kid. I just go and look at the centipedes in the local exotics store for now...

I really would want to have some mothers with their eggs and young. I love how they wrap around their babies.
Agreed! I have no idea how to sexe these guys as of yet. I don't think it's the same as millipedes either.

Nice choices to take on. Can't say getting tagged by them wont make your reconsider ever buying them. Its not even the venom its the pain.

Michael

Nice choices to take on. Can't say getting tagged by them wont make your reconsider ever buying them. Its not even the venom its the pain.

Michael
I don't plan on getting tagged (then again who does?). When it comes to my hots, every specimen I work with get's treated as if it's the first time. I never let my guard down and always use caution. I don't assume I can predict their movements is what I'm saying. Tongs and space become your best friend when working with these ;) .

I've seen some brave people actively handling them so I wasn't sure you were heading that route.

Nice! been looking into getting these, but my dad has terrible memories of these, and doesnt want them anywhere in the house. Im not complaining I dont want to keep it if it scares him/makes it uncomfortable, but ill prob get one when i have my own place. Nice pics btw ;)

Really nice looking ones you have there!

My dad is actually interested in getting one, but I'm terrified of them so he

won't as of now ..... lol.

Latest posts