Pnigomantis medioconstricta, Double Shield mantis, more WA macro

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papilio_

Reaction score
Here are some more experiments at Wide Angle macro, with better equipment than last time. I rented a Tokina 16-28mm from lensrentals.com plus a 10mm extension ring placed between the lens and camera. I couldn't get lower than 18mm before the front surface of the lens was in focus, and in most cases the mantis' antennae are touching the lens. A Wide Angle lens this fast (f/2.8) has too much lens sticking out in front to allow closer focus and higher magnification.

I'm thinking of trying again with a Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical III lens. It's made for rangefinder cameras like Leicas, and is tiny compared to something like a fast DSLR WA lens.

Some early trials

The rig

Awesome! Love the first in each series best. You're becoming a wide-angle macro master. I knew you'd make good use of those double shields.

That's going to be a very stocky mantis. Look at those raptors!
I know, these are enormous mantids! Very cool. :)

Your camera is a monster! It is huge! It takes gorgeous pictures. Save some for the calendar this fall.
Thanks Sticky! No worries ... there will be plenty more where these came from! ;)

Awesome! Love the first in each series best. You're becoming a wide-angle macro master. I knew you'd make good use of those double shields.
Thanks a lot Precarious! Yeah, I love these mantids. :D

WA macro so far has proven extremely frustrating (MANY failures), but I recently came across a different approach which works around the major problems.

Awesome photos! Gosh this makes me want this species even more
Thank you MantidLord! Yes, these are lovely. :)

I had to return the rented lens, but here are a couple more WA macros of a P. wahlbergii.

I also took some shots of one of the Double Shields, red color form. So pretty. I just shot this normally with my Zeiss macro lens ... SO easy after having been messing with WA all week! ;)

Very nice shots, and interesting to see what various lenses do to mantid photos. I'll have to experiment some with lens/rings with my DSLR when I get a few bucks. If nothing else try some of the cheap wide angle adapters to see what they can do. Of course having some serious cash for some quality glass would be even better. ;)

Latest posts