Popa spruca ooth hatching and I have some questions.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digisantiago

Reaction score
Hello! 

The first ooth of 4 has hatched and oh boy it's a lot of little ones. I have some questions. I put some melanogaster flies in to their little 5.5oz cups as well as a paper towel cutting on the lid with a little water. How often do I need to feed these guys? I've been feeding my other nymphs every other day. Also I'm scared that I don't have enough of these cups to house all of them. I read somewhere that they are semi communal. If I keep like 5-10 in a 32oz cup with lots of food will they be all right? Sorry for all the questions. This is super exiting!! 

15802685567828594338577429468414.jpg

15802685857603957483588936356572.jpg

I wouldn’t feed them for their first 48 hours. Just water, water is super important at this stage. The 5.5 cups will last until L4 or so. You also need to add mesh or some way for them to molt to those sauce containers. You can get nylon mesh for dirt cheap at a fabric store. I’m talking 3x3 feet for under $2. Most species at L1 can be housed together if well fed. I wouldn’t try to push it though and I’d just buy more sauce containers and keep them separate. 3 times a week feeding for nymphs is good for most species. Volume of food matters a bit  more than number of times. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be together for a few molts. Feed each day, don't put so many in they are constantly running from them.

Start feeding after 24 hours and feed each day, dont skip a day or they will eat each other. Get some fabric for the

lid with a rubber band if you can't afford insect lids. If you pay for shipping I can send you some used ones that

are fine.

Latest posts