Popa spruca ooth not hatching

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digisantiago

Reaction score
Hello 

I bought an adult, supposedly fertilized popa spruca female at a show that laid her first ooth back in November. I have kept them at regular room temperature and sprayed them once a week. If they haven't hatched already can I assume they are not fertile? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Sincerely 

Santiago 

I dont know why folks spray so little. I spray my ooths daily basically. Twice if it gets too dry.

If I dont spray often, they dont hatch. Its too dry in the house.

I have popa incubating and hope for a hatch this week. ill let you know.

I spray a lot too, and always spray the ooth directly, as well as the substrate. 

If you are only spraying once a week, it could have gotten too dry to hatch.

- MantisGirl13 

I make the rounds every night. Ambient humidity here can be unpredictable at times. If there's still a ton of water left from the previous spraying, I don't spray that particular container, but that's rare here.

Paper towel or coco fiber both hold humidity, coco fiber tends to hold much more though.

- MantisGirl13 

Awesome! Man I've been here like a week and I've already learned so much. Amazing community! Here's hoping they hatch as my female has been awesome, I just hope that in my negligence it's not too late. 

So more spraying. Will do. I was also told to keep humidity up to put a ball of paper towels that have been soaked in there as well. Anybody else do that? 
Sphagnum holds a lot of water and has great surface area for release.

Whats the humidity in your mantis area? When was the latest ooth produced?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that the latest ooth was produced about a two or three weeks ago. As far as humidity goes it's been around 70-90% depending on the time of day. 

Latest posts