positive id

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robo mantis

Reaction score
i want to be positive this is a male chinese (bad pics)

000_0048.jpg

000_0049.jpg

000_0050.jpg

000_0051.jpg

000_0053.jpg

Thats a female. Looks nothing like a male.

Half decent cam and taking them out helps with the pics.

oh the thing that got me was when i fed it crickets its stomach buldged but not like a female but it has female segaments. and its stomach is narrow? wow i got a weird mantis lol i guess now i have to take pics of my other 'male' and see because it failed to mate 2 times i almost thing the other is European i'll post a few pics

lolololololololololol :lol: i just checked on the one in the pics and there was an egg in there lolol i was prooven wrong

oh the thing that got me was when i fed it crickets its stomach buldged but not like a female but it has female segaments. and its stomach is narrow? wow i got a weird mantis lol i guess now i have to take pics of my other 'male' and see because it failed to mate 2 times i almost thing the other is European i'll post a few pics
There is nothing weird about that one. Looks like any other brown chinese female. You had to see an ooth from it to prove it wasn't male? I told you it wasn't. :D

ok now i'm getting scared about my other "male" it is fat and looks like it is about to lay an egg but i'll post these pics shouldn't be as bad

Female chinese. You know telling sex on adults is very easy. Pics would be better if you take them out of the cage.

i know but some i'm not sure because size
Males are just more petite and have a long thin abdomens. They can be the same length though.

It is difficult to tell from the pics, but European mantids have distinct "targets" or "eyespots" on the coxa of the prothoracic legs, Chinese will have markings but they will not look like a target

Latest posts