posting ooths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keelan

Reaction score
hey all

i am curious to how you all package and send ooths over seas? if you have any pictures aswell that would be great :D

keelan

Last edited by a moderator:
by boat:

22850327.jpg

by air:

plane.jpg

hehe oops my bad must have been late at night when i posted this :p what i mean is how do you pack up your ooths to ship over seas weither its by air or boat :D ?

This is something that I would like to find out as well.

What is the best way of packaging the ooths?

What insulation and protection is required?

Do they have to be 'strung up' or positioned in a specific way?

Is there any risk of the ooth hatching in transit?

What happens if it does?

Ta thanks.

pack it like its a tiny light bulb.u know,so it wouldn't smash.spray it really good before u pack it up..always pack dry,,never pack it in wet tissue..it will make the ooth go bad.ship it by air boat takes to long.

What is a safe maximum shipping time for ooths?

Shipping to Australia from some parts of the world can take up to two or three weeks. Is this to long?

What is a safe maximum shipping time for ooths? Shipping to Australia from some parts of the world can take up to two or three weeks. Is this to long?
From what I understand ... 4 to 6 weeks from ooth to hatching ... 3 weeks shipping would be risky unless you knew when the ooth was laid.

depeneds what u want to pay..u can get it shiped fast but its going to cost more.nornall shipping from UK to australia is 10-14 days..uk - us or us - uk 5-10 days...dont worry about it being dry..i had an ooth that wasnt sprayed for 2 weeks and kepted in 35% humidity..after i realized what i was doing i started spraying it..i ended up with just as many nympths as a normal ooth would hatch.your ok if u get fresh ooths.then it wont hatch during shipping.

rick - if every one thought like u it would be very sad.posting ooths from uk to us and vise versa helps us get species we wouldn't normally have.

i use small plastic containers packed with tissue (dry) smaller sp will fit happily inside a camera film container, ensureing it wont be squashed, it then can be packed inside a partially squashed loo roll tube to save postage :D sorted :)

i use small plastic containers packed with tissue (dry) smaller sp will fit happily inside a camera film container, ensureing it wont be squashed, it then can be packed inside a partially squashed loo roll tube to save postage :D sorted :)
yer some of the smaller ooths camara film containers do the job good,.

Since ooths have the possibility of hatching, glue the ooth to the lid of an insect cup. To provide moisture, glue a paper towel to the bottom of the cup and then spray it. When gluing the ooth, have the line or "zipper" facing down; this is where the nymphs will hatch out, right along the zipper. If you just wrap them in paper towels it will work for shipping, but y0u will kill the hatching nymphs.

CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

Since ooths have the possibility of hatching, glue the ooth to the lid of an insect cup. To provide moisture, glue a paper towel to the bottom of the cup and then spray it. When gluing the ooth, have the line or "zipper" facing down; this is where the nymphs will hatch out, right along the zipper. If you just wrap them in paper towels it will work for shipping, but y0u will kill the hatching nymphs.CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta
if it hatched during shiping u only have 2-3 days untill they start dieing..MAKE SURE u get fresh ooths or your be wasting your money

:lol: Here's my 2 cents worth:

Do pack in a small container, and spray a towel like Nick said, do have some excelsior inside container incase they hatch, do not wet towel and wrap it inside it, they always come moldy. When moist air cannot be refreshed and released the item inside will always mold. I cannot tell you how disappointing it is to receive an ooth that is moldy. They do not HATCH! :( I personaly have a ooth sent to me in the container with excelsior inside and it took nine days to reach me, the ooth had hatched the day before shipping, so they survived 10 days with no water other than the misting the person who remains NAMELESS misted before closing the box and sending. Almost all were alive and survived. Also just for your information, I sent an ooth outside of the US and it came back to me 31 days after shipping, the ooth was very dry, but hatched reguardless for me! Probably not what it would of, but nonetheless it did hatch! ;)

i got ooth i bought recenltly..it was packed in wet tissue..it turned up looking like its started to go moldy.its been over 30 days and it still hasnt hatched,,orhid ooth.shame really.

Latest posts