Praying mantis as pets in disaster

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinsWither

Reaction score
What would you do if there was a severe natural disaster and you have praying mantids as pets? Would the survive well? What if you had to leave them behind what would you do first?

Like preparation for exotic pets.

Areeeee you expecting a natural disaster? Kind of a strange question. I suppose if there was a natural disaster I'd save my family, secure what I could of my home, my dogs, and make sure my neighbors and friends were safe. Then I'd worry about securing the mantids. Would you not do the same?

I do the same. But I am worried that some crisis will tear and wreak my house, freeing my praying mantis and other exotic invertebrates and possibly wreaking havoc on the ecosystem. It has happened with zoo animals during hurricanes. I am just preparing for a blackout. This is in case of wildfires or flooding.

Last edited by a moderator:
We take pains to prepare for disasters that could affect us here.

If for some reason there is need to evacuate, mantids will be the least of my worries. It is unlikely they would escape their enclosures and even more unlikely they will establish themselves in the wild.

We take pains to prepare for disasters that could affect us here.

If for some reason there is need to evacuate, mantids will be the least of my worries. It is unlikely they would escape their enclosures and even more unlikely they will establish themselves in the wild.
100% agreed

Does this thread have something to do with Hurricane Patricia by any chance?

This question is a no-brainer honestly. I'm with Rick here

Well, even if mantises somehow get loose here in Virginia, they're going to all die out because the winters here are pretty cold and brutal at times and I only have tropical species.

If a tornado or hurricane ripped apart my home, the last thing I'd be worrying about is my mantises. If I did have an extra couple of seconds to evacuate, I'd grab my ooths and stuff them in my pockets, and be on my way. :D

It is a I am wondering question. This is rarely brought up. I do know that there is a small risk in florida. But it is just my paranoia going up.

In Florida it Isa bit more likely although if it is only a male and female that escape they probably won't be able to survive. If even one gets eaten which is wat will most likely happen they can't breed. It also depends on the environment they are living in. If some mantids escape into the hot and dry tall grass fields in FL there is a good chance they won't survive. Recently 2 south American species have been found in souther FL. In order for them to actually survive for a while I would think a whole ooth or 2 would have to hatch outside

Latest posts