Praying Mantis Kid's book- pictures needed!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a good idea! Do you have any suggestions for beginning species?
  • hierodula membranacea.
  • hierodula masjuscula
  • Hierodula patellifera
  • Creobroter gemmatus
  • Parasphendale affinis
  • Phyllocrania paradoxa
This are a few. Think  There are more species that are good to begin with.

Here is one view of the anatomy (there are 3 in the book. Face view, underside view, back view)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is geared at children, but it would have been a good read even as an adult. I had to read many hours of forum posts to get most of the information you have here. Most guides start off assuming you know more than most newbies do.

I see you have photos of the male and female tendora sinensis. If you don't already it might be nice to have a page on sexual dimorphism.

Its looking great!

EDIT: Also, I'm not that great of a photographer but if there are any photos of ghost mantids or giant rainforest mantids, I would be happy to try to get a shot for you. Otherwise, feel free to use any of the photos I have posted on the forum.

I know this is geared at children, but it would have been a good read even as an adult. I had to read many hours of forum posts to get most of the information you have here. Most guides start off assuming you know more than most newbies do.

I see you have photos of the male and female tendora sinensis. If you don't already it might be nice to have a page on sexual dimorphism.

Its looking great!

EDIT: Also, I'm not that great of a photographer but if there are any photos of ghost mantids or giant rainforest mantids, I would be happy to try to get a shot for you. Otherwise, feel free to use any of the photos I have posted on the forum.
Thank you!

Yes I was planning to put a page in on how to tell whether it is a male of female.

I am trying to get a very clear, well lit, high definition picture of a ghost mantid for the front cover.

Thank you!

Yes I was planning to put a page in on how to tell whether it is a male of female.

I am trying to get a very clear, well lit, high definition picture of a ghost mantid for the front cover.
I can try to get a photo for you, but ours are only L4 and I think you would be better off with an adult for the cover.

EDIT: Here is the best photo I could get, but an adult would be more impressive I think

2A82wNV.jpg

EDIT: Here is the best photo I could get, but an adult would be more impressive I think

That's a great picture! But like you said an adult would be better. If no pictures of adults come available or are to fuzzy etc.. I may use that one!

Do you have a defined criteria for "Kids Book"?  Scope creep may drag this project out and the final product may not be fit for purpose.

I am not trying to discredit any reccomendations, but what does a "Kid" want/should/need to know about Mantids? This is called "Voice of the customer".  What age range are you shooting for?

I think spiking a curiosity should be a goal for this.  "I want to know more".

At this point I think the captive care could be omitted.  Maybe provide links to care sheets in an appendix? 

But keep the info as and standardized for each species (Scientific Name, common name, region, traits, etc.). 

Other thoughts;

Brief scientific History/Facts (Mantids have been around for ?? Years.  First known fossile dates back to ?? Years, (geological period).  Comment about them being predators (Part of why their anatomy is the way it is).  Mimicry(Camouflage).  Maybe a note in the beginning that they can't hurt you.

This is awesome! I am glad you are making a book! Are you going to include illustrations too?

Great start, @Prayingmantisqueen! I have some great pictures of adult ghosts that my mom and I took last night. As soon as she emails them to me I will send them to you. They are really clear and I hope you can use them! (PS, the male that I took pics of died a few hours after the photoshoot so I am sorry if he looks a little droopy in the photos. He was old, and was trying to mate with the stick that he was perched on :p  

- MantisGirl13

Do you have a defined criteria for "Kids Book"? 
Not exactly I guess. It is more like general info like you said.

What age range are you shooting for?
I guess about 12 and up?

At this point I think the captive care could be omitted.  Maybe provide links to care sheets in an appendix? 
That may be a good idea, possibly just include a link to the forum?

Brief scientific History/Facts (Mantids have been around for ?? Years.  First known fossile dates back to ?? Years, (geological period).  Comment about them being predators (Part of why their anatomy is the way it is).  Mimicry(Camouflage).  Maybe a note in the beginning that they can't hurt you.
Great ideas! Will definately add some of that history and stuff in!

Great start, @Prayingmantisqueen! I have some great pictures of adult ghosts that my mom and I took last night. As soon as she emails them to me I will send them to you. They are really clear and I hope you can use them! (PS, the male that I took pics of died a few hours after the photoshoot so I am sorry if he looks a little droopy in the photos. He was old, and was trying to mate with the stick that he was perched on :p  
Thanks @MantisGirl13!!

Thats too bad about him dying!!

With regard to the captive care information, I think it would be nice to have a box dedicated to "typical" care with  a note that each species is different and research should be done before getting one. I agree its not helpful to get into the details of care, but some information would be nice.

As a parent (or child) the general care information is useful to help decide if captive care is even worth looking into (and getting your child's hopes up). Could include simple information like typical temperature range, typical humidity range, typical feeders, typical lifespan, and recommended enclosure size. It could be at the end in a "want to learn more?" section.

From just seeing the little bit you have posted already, put my on the First Edition List (Author signed copy would be cool).  My son is 5 years old and would love this.  The age group might be lower than your anticipating. 

Try not to get to far into the weeds.  Start a "Parking Lot" for items that may not fit this project.  Then when it's done, your Parking Lot may start adventure #2.

From just seeing the little bit you have posted already, put my on the First Edition List (Author signed copy would be cool).  My son is 5 years old and would love this.  The age group might be lower than your anticipating. 

Try not to get to far into the weeds.  Start a "Parking Lot" for items that may not fit this project.  Then when it's done, your Parking Lot may start adventure #2.
Good advice. I started writing a book for youtube creators to teach them about the system several years ago. Every subject soon became its own chapter and I ran out of steam about 100 pages in. If I had been more concise and selective about subjects, I may have actually completed the project.

Latest posts