Pretty upset over this

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting...I mean it does suck with all of us loving mantids so much....but it is the circle of life, then again I only feed them not to waste when they are about to die...I wouldnt buy to feed....plus expensive feeders I would think
:p
.....mantisplace is rebeccas site

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not like that doesnt happen in the wild

if i have a bad mismolt it goes either to another mantis or a toad, and if eaten by a toad, the digestive enzymes work fast and it doesnt suffer

I just hate this. I found a guy at a pet shop with a mantis ooth in a cup labeled Feeders for sale when they hatch. Of course I bought the ooth but he seemed like he had more in the back.

Many of us here raise and breed roaches for the purpose of feeding to our mantids, but there are also plenty of people who raise those same roaches as pets. How are we any different than the chameleon people you are upset about?

The way I see it: "Everything Eats and Everything Dies" if you think about it everything is born dieing, some people love crickets but their food, some people love roaches but their food also, not that I like the Idea of feeding mantis to charms but they are higher up on the scale of life.

And posts like this are why the people on the chameleon forum think we're soft and wimpy bug keepers, lol. :lol:

That said, I see your concern, but thats life like it or not...

Mantis are rewarding to raise so I really wouldn't see the sense in feeding off something you fed to a feedable size..

Hatching ooth to feed off l1 is REALLY wasteful and distasteful..

I know a couple adult mantids that wouldn't mind eating baby cham either lol

and the world turns

Getting concerned over a thread on a different messageboard from 2007 seems a bit strange, but maybe that's just me.

I don't see what the problem is here. Hatching ooths and feeding off at L1 would seem fine to do for baby chams, as an occasional treat, variety is the key with many pets. There's not a lot of labor involed with it considering you keep the ooth in a container at room temp and mist is twice a week or so. Course, if you're actually going to raise the mantids, and if they're anything besides chinese mantids, it's just not worth it and you'd be better of raising them as pets. Opinions vary and when one of these cham hobbyists finds a wild mantis which one of us would consider a great find, it's just another possible feeder to them. It's the way of life I guess. Kinda like when I raised my chickens, I love them dearly but everyone always asks why I don't just eat them. Some things are just food.

I don't see what the problem is here. Hatching ooths and feeding off at L1 would seem fine to do for baby chams, as an occasional treat, variety is the key with many pets. There's not a lot of labor involed with it considering you keep the ooth in a container at room temp and mist is twice a week or so. Course, if you're actually going to raise the mantids, and if they're anything besides chinese mantids, it's just not worth it and you'd be better of raising them as pets. Opinions vary and when one of these cham hobbyists finds a wild mantis which one of us would consider a great find, it's just another possible feeder to them. It's the way of life I guess. Kinda like when I raised my chickens, I love them dearly but everyone always asks why I don't just eat them. Some things are just food.
still not worth it for me. Pin heads are so much easier. Besides feeding off mantids would not vary the chams diet. Think about it.

still not worth it for me. Pin heads are so much easier. Besides feeding off mantids would not vary the chams diet. Think about it.
They would, why wouldn't they? Chams can get bored with certain foods so it can at least help with that. I've been around chameleons but I don't own one, I don't see why I would ever raise mantids for my own chams considering I had any, I'd more than likely raise them for me alone just like I would any other mantis, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. They are just insects after all, and they are often prey for wild chameleons.