Pretty upset over this

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well for variety my cat loves chams. He just cant get enough of pygmys. He gets bored of mice and cat food. I thought I would vary his diet a bit.

Well for variety my cat loves chams. He just cant get enough of pygmys. He gets bored of mice and cat food. I thought I would vary his diet a bit.
If only pygmy chams were as common as the brown anoles around here, I'm sure that would be fine. I feed anoles to my chickens all the time.

But do you see the problem in your logic here? A single pygmy - 30$+ OR A couple hundred mantids 4$-5$ from the local hardware store, or free if you can find them. Feeding mantids to chams is not bad at all, it's just comes down to personal opinions and whether it is financially logical.

Last edited by a moderator:
U have a cat?? :D

Thing is, how nutritious is a thin, newly hatched tenodera that hasn't even eaten yet?
Probably not very, but there's definately some nutrition in there or else the mantid wouldn't be walking. It's crazy if you actually want them to make up more than 1% of a chameleons diet, but a single brood of nymphs is just fine for the sake of variety, personal enjoyment, something different, or just the random oppurtinity presneting itself in the form of you happening upon a cheap ooth at your local hardware store with a spare 5$ bill you wouldn't mind sacrificing.

If only pygmy chams were as common as the brown anoles around here, I'm sure that would be fine. I feed anoles to my chickens all the time.

But do you see the problem in your logic here? A single pygmy - 30$+ OR A couple hundred mantids 4$-5$ from the local hardware store, or free if you can find them. Feeding mantids to chams is not bad at all, it's just comes down to personal opinions and whether it is financially logical.
Really I import my chams real cheap. 1 buck an egg. My cat especially loves watching them hatch then gobbling them up.But lets get really here. Newly hatched tenodera have about as much nutritional value as a glass of water and whose to say a cham can tell the difference between a mantis and a cricket. All it comes down to is weather or not a cham breeder likes to see a cham tackle a mantis or not.

Really I import my chams real cheap. 1 buck an egg. My cat especially loves watching them hatch then gobbling them up.

But lets get really here. Newly hatched tenodera have about as much nutritional value as a glass of water and whose to say a cham can tell the difference between a mantis and a cricket. All it comes down to is weather or not a cham breeder likes to see a cham tackle a mantis or not.
Until a study is actually done on newly hatched tenodera nutrition (Like that'll happen) you really can't say much, but you do have a point. You really can't compare using T. sinesis nymphs as feeders to using chams as feeders. As far as you importing pygmies goes, I'd like to buy some eggs off you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with mantids and then got a pair of veiled chams. They are excellent mantis disposers. Sometimes there are mismolts or numbers need thinning. My goal with mantis is to keep each species for as many generations as I can. It's not like I raise them for the chams, but i have them, so why not? Did you happen to catch my post of feeding an orchid mantis to my chameleon? http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24492&st=0&p=190564&hl=+chameleon%20+orchid&fromsearch=1entry190564

could be worse where I had seen in the past posts of people feeding pinkies to a mantis but its a different subject but thought I would just mention it!

Maybe you should of sold the chams maybe instead of wasting them like that but thats just my opinion and to each their own and it is what it is!

you know you may be kidding but some people such as myself do not like sarcasm as it is almost like the boy crying wolf and no one believed him once the wolf really was seen and alot of people get pissed off when being put into sarcasm situations and I am one of those!

you know you may be kidding but some people such as myself do not like sarcasm as it is almost like the boy crying wolf and no one believed him once the wolf really was seen and alot of people get pissed off when being put into sarcasm situations and I am one of those!
Live a little (just kidding).I know what you mean though it can be annoying at times but it usually helps diffuse the situation in my opinion.

I found out millions of tiny animals are killed every time a person swallows. :teardrop:

:sweatdrop:

I was out mowing today and I hit a small snake. I see snakes when I mow but that's the first time I ever hit one in a patch of grass, though I did take out a frog last summer. I'm not a huge fan of snakes but I was pretty sad for a spot. I've seen a lot of dead snakes in my neighbor's yard as he doesn't like them and kills them whenever he sees them (we are allowed to kill snakes in my state and detroy their habitat, it's only illegal to keep them as pets without permits) but it's a whole different story when I'm the accidental culprit.