Preventing a mismolt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemymantisfriends

Reaction score
I am beyond scared im going to lose my last subadult to a bad molt.  I have lost 2 in the past 2 weeks.  I changed gripping surfaces to plastic screening instead of tulle, put tulle down the side of the enclosure, and hot glued the branched down.  I also misted and put her in a bigger enclosure in a quiet spot.  She is a giant shield.  She has not eaten for a few days, wont take honey, and seems weak.  Her abdomen looks wrinkled too.  Any advice? I dont want to lose her.

20180805_003542.jpg

20180805_003520.jpg

I think it is always best to just leave them be when a molt is imminent as it appears in this case. I keep disturbance to a minimum and don't try to offer food or anything except water. 

Have no fear. I think changing your enclosure was the best thing. When you raise mantis for a long time you'll notice that when the wing bugs swell, you know they're preparing for the most, but when the wing buds raise ever so slightly that means it's literally almost time and like Rick said, just leave them be. She looks like she has enough room so all should be well. Good luck and keep us updated.

In the pictures you posted it looks like the time is really soon and it might do them harm having her right side up so be careful.

Not sure if it’s usual to do this, but I usually put something underneath of them (VEEEERY) carefully. This (in my mind, at least) helps reduce the risk of them falling during the molt. There are a few prerequisites to this, such as:

1. They are not molting on something that moves if you open the container. 

2. They are VERY sturdily attaches to the surface they are on

3. They are not immediately above anything that they can fall on to. 

I have been doing this for a few years, and I have never had a mismolt, as long as the humidity/temperature requirements are met.

Heres a pic of my newly L6 female, who molted today:

29BB0B8E-49C4-4FD5-B54D-0D83EA414D92.jpeg

the perspective might make it a little hard to see, but the egg carton is about two inches below her, just in case she fell. She didn’t fall, but it is definitely a good precaution I usually take. 

Obviously the most important thing is just the surface they grip on to. I think it is definitely good that you upgraded the mesh, since that’s usually what they hang on. Just make sure it is stretched tight, and it doesn’t sag when she hangs on it. 

Congratulations on the molt! Her wings look fine and beautiful. However, it’s generally recommended to wait 24-48 hours after a molt to take out or handle a mantis because they’re still soft during that time. Her wings will probably also straighten out and develop more color after drying.