problems shedding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i have two females and one left to molt and is smaller. im guessing is the male. hopefully he hurries up and molts because i want some more ooths for next year. oh and there all in the same cage already. and i feed them as much as possible. i will just let them do there natural thing.
I wouldn't worry, I've mated different mantids 10+ times, and no eaten males yet. Of course it wouldn't hurt to feed the females a little before. But just save room for giving her food once the male is ready to mate. I mated a male with thee different females, and he mated with two of them twice. I'm sure you have a shot. You don't need to wait a week to mate them though. This species can mate after a full 24 hours after molting. I would seperate the two females though. Once the females are pregnate, anything is food :blink: Keep the male with them, as he'll want to remate with the females as much as possible. Plus he'll only have a week or two to live afterword anyway. Good luck :)

thanks mantis lord. i will probly have to seperate the females. they seem to be giving each other the eye of hunger. are the the male one hasent even shed to adult yet so i dont think they can mate yet. he should pretty soon, hopefully.

If you put him in the freezer for 2 minutes, he did not die! You should've left him in there for hours. When I use the freezer to calm down crickets, after 10 minutes they come out unconcious but after a while they start to move again.

For hours? Not hardly. A good ten of fifteen mins is more than enough. A mantis will not survive that. I generally feed them to another mantis or to one of my herps these days though.

It's good to have the females mature before the males, woo boo, the females live two months longer than the males, so you'll be fine ;)

If you put him in the freezer for 2 minutes, he did not die!
well it was a bit more than 2 minutes, and im pretty sure he was dead. the dots in his eyes were gone. he just looked like he had no life in him. i didnt want to do it, but i also didnt want him to suffer in his stuck skin forever.

mantislord- cool good to know.

Latest posts