Promoting limb regeneration

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anything that you can feed feeder insects or I guess mantids themselves that will help them regenerate lost limbs? I know there are some instances where the limb cannot be regenerated, but just a thought that popped up into my head. 

Very interesting thought. I don't know the answer.

I know shrimp can have issues molting if they do not have enough calcium in the water and diet. The calcium is needed to generate the new exoskeleton. I would guess that a calcium deficiency would have similar results in mantises. Some websites promote silkworms as mantis feeders since they are a good source of calcium. Molting is critical to the regeneration process, so make sure the mantis has enough calcium.

Further, I would guess that a hungry mantis would not be able to grow back its limbs as well. Since the mantises use their body fluids to pump themselves up during a molt, I would imagine a lack of fluid would also prevent the mantis from regenerating as well as it could. I suspect that this was the problem with our peacock mantis. It was very difficult to get him to eat, so he was always on the thin side. After two molts he only regrew the leg maybe 50%.

I also suspect that instar is important. I would guess that younger mantises are more successful at regrowing limbs than later instars.

Those are my best guesses/advice, but unfortunately nothing scientific. I would be very interested to read if someone has some better data or experience on the issue.

Mantids will regrow lost limbs (other than raptorials) so I don't see why you should feed them something to make them regenerate limbs. :)  

- MantisGirl13

Orins book says theyll regrow, depending on where the damage is.
If they lose an entire raptorial, it will not grow back. If they lose a tarsi or a spike on the raptorial, it will regenerate. Other than that, they do regenerate all other lost limbs, even entire legs.

- MantisGirl13

If they lose an e 

- MantisGirl13
Yeah, like that. If a tarsus or tarsus and tibia they regenerate and those segments are small but developed. I've read sometimes it takes two molts. But if they lose a femur or more, that's it.

Maybe it depend on where it was lost. If they lose it at a joint, that's it? If they lose it off a joint, it'll regrow?

I'll have to reread the section later. FULL ON mantis night at my place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they will regenerate limbs. I think the OP is asking if there is a way to help encourage it, so they regrow faster, not whether they will regrow at all. 

I have mantids who regrew entire rear limbs back to normal size in 2 molts. Raptorial arms seem to be different. I've heard that raptorial arms will only regenerate to the joint where it was lost originally. However, I have a male ghost who lost an entire raptorial arm and has regrown a tiny version of it that doesn't seem to function. It's taken 3 or 4 molts to get to that point. He just molted again, and I need to inspect the arm's progress to see if it is larger or functional now at L6. 

Latest posts