Proper habitat size for molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeve

Reaction score
After reading too many mis-molt horror stories I want to make sure my mantises are as safe as can be. My question: how can I provide the best and safest environment for a successful molt?

I know about the right habitat sizing and a proper mesh for them to hold on to, but should I leave a large empty space at the top of the container for the mantis to have ample molting room? Will a plant leaf taking up room near the top bother my mantis and impede his molt?

I read somewhere the habitat should have 2x mantis length of empty room at the top for them to have plenty of space to hang while molting. I haven't seen this tidbit mentioned elsewhere; is this true or am I wasting space?

I recently set up my first mantis habitat. I left at least 3x height of empty space under the perch and mesh just to be sure. I have fake plants up the sides to act as ladders between the substrate and the perches and mesh at the top. My habitats are pretty empty across the centre and I think I'll fill it in a bit when I do a redesign. Once I've had a few successful moults I'll have a better idea of what the best functional spacing is.

I would say its definitely better to leave more space rather than risk a mismoult from over crowding until you've got a feel for what your mantids need.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts