Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giosan

Reaction score
Hey,

our cute mantis (Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii) just got adult, like 4 days ago. So far she only ate 1 fly, now she punches away all flys I try to give her (and in her cage, flies just walk on her and she kicks them away). She does only eat waxworms now (I pinch the worms so a bit liquid comes out, this way she does eat it). She had 2 so far, now eating her 3rd.

My question, does it harm her to only eat waxworms? Maybe in a few days she will eat flys again but I'm kinda worried for her not eating anything now, so I am happy she eats waxworms.. Unless it's bad of course!

Hey,our cute mantis (Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii) just got adult, like 4 days ago. So far she only ate 1 fly, now she punches away all flys I try to give her (and in her cage, flies just walk on her and she kicks them away). She does only eat waxworms now (I pinch the worms so a bit liquid comes out, this way she does eat it). She had 2 so far, now eating her 3rd.

My question, does it harm her to only eat waxworms? Maybe in a few days she will eat flys again but I'm kinda worried for her not eating anything now, so I am happy she eats waxworms.. Unless it's bad of course!
if shes not eating flys dont that tell u somthing?its no good ramming food in her face if she dont want to eat,,shes like that cause shes only just shed.some go up to 1 week with out food after sheding.just keep house flys 1 or 2 in her cage she will eat when shes hungry..dont worry mine does that to.

if shes not eating flys dont that tell u somthing?its no good ramming food in her face if she dont want to eat,,shes like that cause shes only just shed.some go up to 1 week with out food after sheding.just keep house flys 1 or 2 in her cage she will eat when shes hungry..dont worry mine does that to.
I'm not forcing her, just trying every day but she punches them away, Weird thing is that she does it when she can taste it first, and I'm asking now if a waxworm diet is bad for a mantis! Of course I will try again in a few days if she eats flys. There are already some flies in her cage :)

I'm not forcing her, just trying every day but she punches them away, Weird thing is that she does it when she can taste it first, and I'm asking now if a waxworm diet is bad for a mantis! Of course I will try again in a few days if she eats flys. There are already some flies in her cage :)
try: mealworms, other flies, waxworms, crckets, small locust, your finger. if she dont want to to eat any of them (or only your finger) then you know its bad.

3+ days is enough, let some flies in loose so she can get them when she wants, waxworms are more like trates to mantids i suppose, reall fatty i heard, goo for fattening mantids up prior to breeding, let some flies loose then and try to get other pollinating insects in there

Sorry Giosan, but that is forcing it to feed ;)

Leaving a fly in the enclosure and letting it catch it under its own free will is the correct way.

As said above, they sometimes take >3 days before they'll eat after the final moult.

Sorry Giosan, but that is forcing it to feed ;) Leaving a fly in the enclosure and letting it catch it under its own free will is the correct way.

As said above, they sometimes take >3 days before they'll eat after the final moult.
Was just getting worried, as she didn't eat for over 8 days before the moult either! But I will stop doing that :) Wasn't hurting her or anything like that of course!

Latest posts