Pseudovates arizonae ( arizona unicorn mantis )

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a lot like one of those ancient Egyptian paintings. :lol:
Strangely they do look alike :eek: although i am sure they are not related :D

Thanks Alan. Here are couple more pics

L5d.jpg

L5a.jpg

Another molt gone.... my guess is 2-3 molts away from adulthood.

L6f.jpg

This one looks like the old time western movie where two cowboys facing off each other

L6c.jpg

Part of the group in my net cage

L6e.jpg

L6a.jpg

Yeah i have 15 in one foot cube net cage and 16 in another, so far no casualty due to cannibalism yet, even when food are limited, they will just stare at each other, rather skittish. Right now they are 1.5 inchlong and capable of handling blue bottle, but hand feedling is difficult as they will just run away. It is interesting to see how the long thorax vibrates when they caught a fly.

i'm glad this species is bigger the p. peruviana. i was kinda dissappointed in their small size. if they're 1.5" at L5, i guess they'll be around 3" as adults.

Yes John, it is longer than the Peruvian species. My female subadult is about 2.5 inches so probably it will reach 3 inches at adult. Subadult male is slightly shorter but not by too much.

Subadult male

subam3.jpg

subam5.jpg

Subadult female

subaf1.jpg

subaf2.jpg

First adult male Phyllovates Chlorophaea matured into adult today. It is beautiful, hard to believe we have such exotic looking mantis in the USA. He is slightly lessthan 3-inch, i believed adult female will be at least 3 inches.

am1.jpg

am2.jpg

am3.jpg

am5.jpg

am6.jpg

am7.jpg

It is confirmed that they are communal species!!!

That's a pretty awesome mantis! Hmm, if they're so communal, I think I'll consider this kind some time in the future.

nice. let's change the status of this bugger from rare to most common in arizona! :twisted:

AFK, this one is from Texas not Arizona. I think the title is misleading, i should have created a new post for this Phyllovates Chlorophaea species instead. I did see "wings" all over my cage this morning but did not take a close up look, chances are good that i have my first adult female today. Will post a pic up later. One sad note, i messed up with the moult count, it appeared that female need an extra molt to mature but have doubt about it as i am getting adults from both gender almost the same time.

Latest posts