Pseudovates chlorophaea

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Anderson

Reaction score
Species treatment for Pseudovates chlorophaea now complete. Similar to the mating strategies employed by P. arizonae, the females of this species also do not engage in cannibalism before, during, or after copulation. Nymphal emergence also interesting and occurs in waves rather than synchronized en masse:
Nymph emergence generally takes place during the morning and is semi-synchronized over approximately 1 hour, with consecutive waves of approximately 12-15 proto-nymphs emerging at a time. Emerging proto-nymphs thread in clumps, undergo their initial molt, and then the first instar nymphs scale back onto the substrate before another wave of proto-nymphs emerge. Occasionally, some straggler nymphs may emerge during the following days. First instar nymphs will remain near their oothecae for several hours before dispersing. Conspecific cannibalism among nymphs is not indicated, as nymphs may come into physical contact with one another, or even climb over their peers, without any exhibited aggression. Older nymphs will strike at conspecific peers to encourage them to depart shared hunting territory but cannibalism does not occur.
P. chlorophaea map.jpg

You should post this information on some of the facebook mantis groups like Mantis Keepers so even more people can see your research. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MantisKeepers/

I am very interested in the research you do on mantids of the US and I have a lot of information on localities, species, etc that I would love to share with you.

You should post this information on some of the facebook mantis groups like Mantis Keepers so even more people can see your research. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MantisKeepers/

I am very interested in the research you do on mantids of the US and I have a lot of information on localities, species, etc that I would love to share with you.
Sounds good.  I'd be interested to see what data you have available. 

Latest posts