Punctures during breeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devetaki9

Reaction score
I used the search and could find no related threads to my topic. Is it normal for the female to acquire puncture wounds in her abdomen and thorax during mating and should you do anything about it? The wounds seem to be closing over on their own and I did not want to apply a liquid skin if it was more beneficial to let them drain a bit to get rid of any possible bacteria. She is resting comfortably and took a moth, honey and water.

I had a female Hierodula suffer the same way, she did lay two ooths but died prematurely. I would suggest helping it close up if it isn't on its own.

They closed up, I'm just afraid of bacterial infection, the little bit of blood hopefully flushed it out like when we bleed.

Give her more than normal fluids in the form of pure water droplets that she can see and some honey water placed on a blunt tongue depressor or something like it. The extra fluids will help her flush out any bacteria that might have been taken on in the wound. Normally they can recover from minor wounds.

I wouldn't consider it the norm but it does happen sometimes. I don't tend to touch wounds if they seem to be drying up on their own. Just make sure she has a clean environment to hang out in and I would think she would have pretty good odds at recovering.

K thank you. She seems fine and I am just being a worry wart. I'm sure this must happen all the time, I just happened to be intently monitoring this session and being overprotective so I actually noticed it. It must happen all the time