Question about diapause

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kony88

Reaction score
I have a wild caught mantis (I think it may be a Carolina mantis) who just laid eggs. I want to hatch the eggs near spring so that I can let most of the nymphs go in the garden. Should I keep the eggs refrigerated until close to spring, or do they take a while to hatch after temps go back up?  

If left as they are now they will hatch in 90 days or less (average of my Carolina (Stagmomantis carolina) ooths (ootheca) that were not diapaused). If you place them in the fridge for at least two months, or longer, they will hatch in 45 days or less once they are back at room temperature.

If you want to wait until spring to hatch them you will need to place them outside or in a fridge that is below 40F (4C) degrees, and then they can stay there until spring. For details on the process see my posts in this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! That was exactly what I needed to know, and the thread you linked me to was very helpful as well!

Latest posts