Question about Mantis Diets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always make fruit fly traps. They are attracted to ripe or overripe fruit. My neghbor gets hundreds of them congregating in his box of beer and soda cans that are going to the recycler. There are ways to catch the fruit flies. I used to mash up some banana and put it in a small cup used for food samples. Then I would partially cover the cup with a larger cup. The flies always find a way in and then when there are many there you can close quickly the larger covering cup and take the whole thing to the freezer to stun them for one to two minutes. You can then feed them and when you have extra, you can start a wild ff culture.

You can always make fruit fly traps. They are attracted to ripe or overripe fruit. My neghbor gets hundreds of them congregating in his box of beer and soda cans that are going to the recycler. There are ways to catch the fruit flies. I used to mash up some banana and put it in a small cup used for food samples. Then I would partially cover the cup with a larger cup. The flies always find a way in and then when there are many there you can close quickly the larger covering cup and take the whole thing to the freezer to stun them for one to two minutes. You can then feed them and when you have extra, you can start a wild ff culture.
Is - 8c out side at Toronto ... Don't think any insect is alive out there... but yes lots in the summer

Pamela of Forked Tree Ranch WILL ship things via normal "ground" rate (Priority), but she will not guarantee them if you choose this option. It is at your own risk.

I would rather feed superworms (kingworms) than crickets. I don't even like feeding our dragons crickets...although, it helps tiny babies get going & feeding.