QUESTION ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE REQUIREMENTS OF MANTIDS

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lalaland

Reaction score
I am going to recieve my first mantis on around the 5th of January. My house is kept at roughly 65 degrees -_- (Ik frigid). Should I get a desk lamp for them ? I'm very worried about them being too cold. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions!? I need your help!

-LaLa

@Lalaland Yes, you will need a heat source as it is too cold. Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis) do best at 75F temperatures, but 70F or warmer is fine.

If you use a desk lamp be sure to use a incandescent light bulb, as the new energy florescent and LED lights do not provide any heat. A adjustable lamp is best to set the bulb where needed for the proper temperature.

Other forms of heat are heating mats, reptile heating tape and ropes, and other similar items. With any heat source though you will need to adjust it to get the proper temperature needed for your mantis. Most heating sources are not adjustable, so you need to use a thermostat to control turning the heat source on/off automatically as needed.

I have a thermostat just for my prospective mantis! Thank you for the spectacular help! I'd be lost without this forum! Sorry I'm a little finicky about having everything perfect, do not feel the need to reply if you are annoyed. :)

I have a thermostat just for my prospective mantis! Thank you for the spectacular help! I'd be lost without this forum! Sorry I'm a little finicky about having everything perfect, do not feel the need to reply if you are annoyed. :)
Your welcome. Ah, your no annoyance, I'm ready to answer any further questions anytime. Although, it sounds like you are set with a thermostat. So I wish you both well. :D

Latest posts