Questions about care for chinese nymph (I think)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Today I was given a new nymph! (The guys at the pet store gave it to me because they did not know how to care for it).  They told me it was a ghost mantis, but it looks Chinese to me.  Anyway, I normally raise iris oratoria; they like it dry.  This new little guy needs to have humidity and heat at the same time.  I tried putting moist peat moss in the plastic container, but it got cool.  Should I just use a paper towel? The care sheet said to mist twice a day.  But how do I keep it warm?

Shoot.  I wasn't ready for this.  I'm sure it is simple, but I need help. 

Thank you!!!!

There is a large different between the two species in their appearance, but is common for anyone who doesn't know (pet stores). If you could post a photo that would clear it up.

I've raised Chinese (Tenodara sinensis) nymphs before, and had two ooths hatch on March 26. They recently molted to L2 and had no issues with them. I provide them standard care as I do with any mantid species I've kept (11 species so far). The same goes for the 10 Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa) nymphs that I raised from L2 to adults in the last couple of years.

I keep them in containers with sphagnum peat moss. I mist their habitats lightly every day (not directly on them as they don't like it, and that small of a nymph will drown in a water drop), in the past I've misted once a week and had no problems then either. Ideally you want to stay at 50-60 % RH (room humidity) in their containers, if you have a hydrometer you can get precise, but never found it a issue (and I have two hydrometers ;) ). Heat wise they get whatever my room temperature is, it tends to hover at 72-75 F. Other than that I ensure they have plenty of Melanogaster fruit flies, adding some daily for larger hatches (I aim for 2 per nymph, but I don't bother to count and just go by the amount I see in the container). I try to ensure they have fruit flies at all times, but that is more for cannibalism, which with a single nymph won't be a concern.

If you are stressed and feel like you need more specific care take a look at the caresheets for Chinese (Tenodara sinensis) and Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) mantids. :)

Best of luck with your new nymph.

I have found my chinese do not like water each day, which surprised me as it is very wet here in Ohio. I have been able to save a few  this way, Other

wise most end up dying.

You should post a picture of the little guy, and maybe someone can ID which species it is.  That will ensure we are giving you the right advice, as the needs of the breeds vary to some degree. 

Be very careful about adding heat+humidity if you are not using a well ventilated cage. Unless the room you are using is very cold, both species tend to do fine at room temp.

WIN_20160412_090915.JPG

WIN_20160412_090950.JPG

My phone wi fi is not working for some reason.  I tried taking a picture with the computer.  It is bad, but I think you can tell it is not a ghost.  Could it be Chinese? 

Thank you for all your help so far!

I was appalled when the guys at the pet store gave me the container with this little guy in there: On the bottom was 6 dead nymphs in a ripped apart ooth.  There were also many half hatched and unhatched nymphs soaked in water on the bottom of the container.  The container smelled like acid.  Why would anyone rip apart an ooth? I don't know how this 1 nymph survived.

Has anyone heard of a ripping apart an ooth before it hatches? Was it done to split them up as they were hatching?

My phone wi fi is not working for some reason.  I tried taking a picture with the computer.  It is bad, but I think you can tell it is not a ghost.  Could it be Chinese? 

I was appalled when the guys at the pet store gave me the container with this little guy in there: On the bottom was 6 dead nymphs in a ripped apart ooth.  There were also many half hatched and unhatched nymphs soaked in water on the bottom of the container.  The container smelled like acid.  Why would anyone rip apart an ooth? I don't know how this 1 nymph survived.

Has anyone heard of a ripping apart an ooth before it hatches? Was it done to split them up as they were hatching?
Yes, that definitely does not look like a ghost mantis by the picture. I would say as long as your house is between 70 and 80 degrees F no additional heat source is needed. I've raised chinese mantises from L3 with a light daily misting, at room temperature. The biggest challenge I experienced with them is ensuring as they grow that they are in enclosures that are large enough for them to molt successfully, since as adults, they are a large species. Paper towels alone are generally a safe and sanitary solution for lining the bottom of the enclosure, but must be changed frequently to ensure no bacteria growth, if you go that route.

They may have ripped it open after the fact to try and see why it wasn't hatching. Could you tell what the ootheca was suppose to look like? Chinese oothecae are very easy to ID. Since it doesn't sound like this nymph hasn't shed and going by the size in the photo I would say it being a Chinese nymph is very plausible. Deli cups can grow mold/bacteria easily if over misted, and with this species I find it is more important the nymph can drink daily if it needs to than having a super high humidity. Adding a cross vent to the cup can help. If this is a Chinese I would suggest getting another type of enclosure. In my opinion they don't do good in deli cups.

Well everything seems to be covered, and indeed that nymph isn't a Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) as it should be evident even in the photo of a "crown" on it's head which it doesn't have any.

Regarding the ooth if you still have it, or the pieces, this should help you identify it. The photo is one I took real quick of some ooths I had on hand, so you could see the difference, and maybe help you out. :)

View attachment 7375