Questions about temperature!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
What effect does temperature have on a mantis? (Please go in depth)

If a mantis were to molt, what effect does the temperature have on this?

-Ex: high humidity, but cold?

If keeping the temperature colder lowers metab and elongates life-why do many choose to head torwards the warmer part of the spectrum?

How important is it to vary temperature (at night/day switch)?

Basic pros/cons for too hot or too cold, please!

What effect does temperature have on a mantis? (Please go in depth)

If a mantis were to molt, what effect does the temperature have on this?

-Ex: high humidity, but cold?

If keeping the temperature colder lowers metab and elongates life-why do many choose to head torwards the warmer part of the spectrum?

How important is it to vary temperature (at night/day switch)?

Basic pros/cons for too hot or too cold, please!
Unfortunately, your questions can't really be answered for "mantids", as there's too much diversity (~2200 species)! Which species do you want to focus on? You can read caresheets to see what others have observed about temperatures and each species (e.g. young nymphs stop eating when temps drop a certain level).

But I can say that most mantids do well with daytime temperatures around the 75-85F range while some from really hot climates would do best with 95F+. Some of the most popular mantids kept by hobbyists are tolerant with room temperatures but in general they like it warm and humid. Having said that, I think you're gonna see the most success with raising mantids (or anything, really) by duplicating their natural environment as best you can, including temperatures, humidity, day/night cycles, etc.

I'm probably just slow but when you ask "why do many choose to head torwards the warmer part of the spectrum?", what do you mean? Mantids thrive in warm temperatures but sometimes we keep males colder due to sexual dimorphism. If that's a new phrase for you, I recommend using the forum's search function for starters to read up on it.

I think it's important to vary temps, but I'd be very curious to hear opinions and findings on this. Mantids usually molt at night, so I believe allowing the temperatures to drop a bit during the evenings will help lower the likelihood of a mismolt (again, the nuances of ideal temp ranges depend on the species.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm asking on behalf of my ghost mantids and my flower mantises (creobroter pictipennis)! I'm only able to provide a temperature between 60 degrees Fahrenheit and 68 degrees Fahrenheit in my house.

I agree with frogparty, you should try to get those temps up a bit. The good news is that both ghosts and creos are pretty hardy and should be fine as long as your temps don't drop any lower.

Another option is to get a heat lamp from a pet store (people often sell them used on Craigslist) with a ceramic heat emitting bulb. I use a heat lamp with a clamp and I just point it towards my mantis table where I keep my netcubes and individual cups/pots.

Well temp does not affect moulting it does affect the mantids metabolism. If it is to low than the mantid cannot digest food. I would really suggest getting a heat lamp. They are like $30 plus a $10 bulb. I love mine and it is still working after 6 years.

I think people get a little over neurotic about tweeking temps and humidity.

Most species do just fine at normal house temp and 50% humidity.

They should also have cooler temps at night, just turn your house thermostat down a bit, humans

sleep better at 65F anyway.

I the winter, when the home heating lowers the RH, just invest in a good humidifier.

I think people get a little over neurotic about tweeking temps and humidity.

Most species do just fine at normal house temp and 50% humidity.

They should also have cooler temps at night, just turn your house thermostat down a bit, humans

sleep better at 65F anyway.

I the winter, when the home heating lowers the RH, just invest in a good humidifier.
+1 just make sure it doesn't get tooooo cool.