R.I.P. Sir

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plex

Reaction score
Tonight Sir, my female H. Parviceps, passed away. I came in to check on humidity and she was dead in her enclosure.. She was one of my favorite mantids, and was the one that got me into wanting to keep more and breed them.

Unfortunately she never laid an ootheca, and I think she may have been eggbound which could have contributed to her death since there seemed to be nothing physically wrong with her up until two days ago when she didn't seem to want to accept food.

R.I.P. little girl.

Sorry for your loss. :(

The chameleon forum has an "in memoriam" section. Maybe we should get one here.

When I find a dead one, I just think, "another one bites the dust", as I don't get too attached to them. Too many mantids kept to care deeply for any single one.

Tonight Sir, my female H. Parviceps, passed away. I came in to check on humidity and she was dead in her enclosure.. She was one of my favorite mantids, and was the one that got me into wanting to keep more and breed them.

Unfortunately she never laid an ootheca, and I think she may have been eggbound which could have contributed to her death since there seemed to be nothing physically wrong with her up until two days ago when she didn't seem to want to accept food.

R.I.P. little girl.
Damn sorry about that. I named one Sir, too, one of my first two mantids. I thought she was male for a while which was why I named her Sir. Once I found she was female, I said that her name stood for 'Silvia Irwin Reynolds'. It sucks when they die.

None of my adult females ever laid oothecae, either. One, Majesty, died from being egg-bound, I think. Sir died from black death from tap water. Keek died from a diseased cricket (too much bad bacteria). And then Mostro died from an internal parasite, which comes from food, and he died when I started giving him new food, super worm guts, instead of crickets. I regret having done that.

With owning mantids, I realized that they are VERY sensitive. I'll give you some tips, based on the causes of deaths of my mantids. Hope it helps out.

1.) Avoid excessive humidity.

2.) After buying prey/food for the mantid, keep the prey in a clean container and feed them lettuce for a couple days. This works for meal worms, super worms, crickets, etc. Crickets especially carry a lot of bad bacteria which can kill the mantid.

3.) Take the remainder of the prey the mantid drops out of it's container. Bacteria will reproduce, especially with humidity (water/heat).

4.) Do not feed them outdoor insects unless the nymph came from a wild female mantid's ootheca. The oothecae of females bred in captivity aren't immune to outdoor bacteria//fungi/etc.

5.) Do not put things from outside (sticks, leaves, dirt, etc) into the mantid's cage/container. For the same reason as above, the nymph of bred females' oothecae aren't immune to outdoor bacteria/fungi/etc. It's important to bake them before letting your mantid come in contact with them.

5.)

I beg to differ on points 4 and 5.

All my captive breds are in with sticks from my orange tree which is outside and also get fed whatever "snacks" I am able to snag from outside. Just make sure the feeder is healthy. Maybe go with point #2 for outside bugs to be sure they haven't been in contact with pesticides and are healthy after a couple days.

I beg to differ on points 4 and 5.

All my captive breds are in with sticks from my orange tree which is outside and also get fed whatever "snacks" I am able to snag from outside. Just make sure the feeder is healthy. Maybe go with point #2 for outside bugs to be sure they haven't been in contact with pesticides and are healthy after a couple days.
An exception is that the mantid you had wasn't from a bred females' ootheca, but maybe a wild females'.

Thanks everyone, she was laid to rest amongst the snow outside in the front garden area today.

Sorry for your loss. :(

The chameleon forum has an "in memoriam" section. Maybe we should get one here.

When I find a dead one, I just think, "another one bites the dust", as I don't get too attached to them. Too many mantids kept to care deeply for any single one.
Thanks; and I think that might be a good idea. Even people with a lot of mantids sometimes have special ones they care for more than others I'm sure..

Yeah.. very understandable though when you have as many as you and some other members have though.

Damn sorry about that. I named one Sir, too, one of my first two mantids. I thought she was male for a while which was why I named her Sir. Once I found she was female, I said that her name stood for 'Silvia Irwin Reynolds'. It sucks when they die.

None of my adult females ever laid oothecae, either. One, Majesty, died from being egg-bound, I think. Sir died from black death from tap water. Keek died from a diseased cricket (too much bad bacteria). And then Mostro died from an internal parasite, which comes from food, and he died when I started giving him new food, super worm guts, instead of crickets. I regret having done that.

With owning mantids, I realized that they are VERY sensitive. I'll give you some tips, based on the causes of deaths of my mantids. Hope it helps out.
Thanks. My Sir was one of my two first mantids as well, her and a young female R. Valida were my first two that I got on the same day, with a Ghost soon following; both the R. Valida and Ghost are still kicking and were quite a bit younger when I got them than she was. Sorry to hear about the loss of your own Sir and the others.

Thanks for the tips; I do try to make sure all the feeders are healthy and I boil/heat any sticks I bring in from outside for my captive mantids. Due to weather I never had much of a chance to even try wild caught prey yet, but if I were to I'd definitely gut load them well before hand and make sure they seem healthy.