Radioactive Spider!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Found this guy in my room. Must have come in with some bramble I collected. No idea on the species but it is really this green. Almost looks like it glows!

If I start climbing walls and fighting crime you know I got bit. :nuke:

Spidergreen_2643-sm.jpg

Spidergreen_2649-sm.jpg

Spidergreen_2659-sm.jpg

Cool little guy, how big is it? I know alot of people are enjoying your "walk in the woods" thread and if he did come in on bramble not sure why you didn't post this there?

Glad to see your on the fly portfolio is getting bigger every day! ;)

Cool little guy, how big is it? I know alot of people are enjoying your "walk in the woods" thread and if he did come in on bramble not sure why you didn't post this there?

Glad to see your on the fly portfolio is getting bigger every day! ;)
It's small. Maybe 3x the size of a Hydei. I'm hoping it grows for me. Hasn't eaten yet.

I guess I separated these images because they were taken in my room rather than outdoors in nature.

I took some nice photos yesterday in the woods but haven't sorted through them yet.

It looks like some type of orbweaver-ish type of spider. You might wanna let it build a web and have food go onto the web.. for some reason, I can't orbweavers to eat anything if they haven't built their web

It looks like some type of orbweaver-ish type of spider. You might wanna let it build a web and have food go onto the web.. for some reason, I can't orbweavers to eat anything if they haven't built their web
Good call. Thanks for the heads up. They are related to orb weavers but I don't believe they are extensive web builders. It looks like it ate the 4 hydei I gave it yesterday. I'll have to keep an eye on it to observe how it eat.

Do you stack your images?
The first 2 images are each made up of 2 photos stacked manually in Photoshop. Third one is a single image. I don't usually stack more than 2 or 3 images and I always do it manually. I'm not set up for deep stacks as I always shoot freehand.

I guessed the first one stacked but not the 2nd two? Thanks for taking the time to share with us and keep up the great work, were all the better for it!

All your skill and hard work help us see things we would normally never see or know was even there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had success feeding several orb weavers and such that didnt make a web yet. I would catch a moth about the same size (if anything smaller) of the spider and use my forceps (or tweezers) and get a solid grip on one of the moth's wings. It should now start to flutter with its other wing, whilst fluttering SLOWLY bring the moths fluttering wing in contact with the spider (usually next to the spiders longer front legs). When I say slowly I mean start at about an inch away from the spider so the spider's hairs can sense the fluttering and centimeter by centimeter bring the moth closer to the spider; the final distance should be most of the moths fluttering wing in contact with spider. When you see the spider start to 'attack' the moth wait til your spider has a good grip on it before releasing the moth. The same can also be used with a fly (like a blue bottle), except instead of holding it by the wing, hold it by the fly's abdomen (dont be afraid to get a good grip on the fly's abdomen it will eventually get eaten by the spider :p )

Hope this helps,

Andrew

I have had success feeding several orb weavers and such that didnt make a web yet. I would catch a moth about the same size (if anything smaller) of the spider and use my forceps (or tweezers) and get a solid grip on one of the moth's wings. It should now start to flutter with its other wing, whilst fluttering SLOWLY bring the moths fluttering wing in contact with the spider (usually next to the spiders longer front legs). When I say slowly I mean start at about an inch away from the spider so the spider's hairs can sense the fluttering and centimeter by centimeter bring the moth closer to the spider; the final distance should be most of the moths fluttering wing in contact with spider. When you see the spider start to 'attack' the moth wait til your spider has a good grip on it before releasing the moth. The same can also be used with a fly (like a blue bottle), except instead of holding it by the wing, hold it by the fly's abdomen (dont be afraid to get a good grip on the fly's abdomen it will eventually get eaten by the spider :p )

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Good info.. good info. Thanks! =)

i'm just curious, since i use manual focus, if i were to take a photo of something and while the photo was snapping i were to rapidly move the focus of the lens, what would happen?

i'm just curious, since i use manual focus, if i were to take a photo of something and while the photo was snapping i were to rapidly move the focus of the lens, what would happen?
You would get a blurred image. I use manual too. You have to for macro. I only use shutter speed of 1/200 so you'd have to be really quick at changing focus just at the right moment. Save yourself the trouble and just move the camera. Same as changing focus when it comes to macro. Not sure why you'd want to do that but who am I to judge. :huh:

You would get a blurred image. I use manual too. You have to for macro. I only use shutter speed of 1/200 so you'd have to be really quick at changing focus just at the right moment. Save yourself the trouble and just move the camera. Same as changing focus when it comes to macro. Not sure why you'd want to do that but who am I to judge. :huh:
it was a hypothetical question lol, not gonna do that :rolleyes:

i have shutter speed 1/250 and always use manual focus, it's much easier than automatic

Araneus construct perfect orb-webs, yet they are hardly seen by diurnal observers. Their hunting skills are better observed with a flashlight.