Raffia?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
I'm making some more FF cultures today, but I have no excelsior. I could use coffee filters, but they just have a weird look to them. Could I use raffia as a substitute for excelsior?

I've never heard of it being used, but as long as it holds together when wet and provides surface area for the flies I don't see why not. I have used folded coffee filters and squares of corrugated cardboard in the past.

Raffia has chemicals in it. I'd avoid it.

EDIT: Our raffia seems to have some sort of additive, or perhaps it is just particles that rub off.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is bought from, say, and arts and crafts store or for decorative purposes, it is most likely treated with chemicals. Just be careful, read labels, and do your research. :)
A claim of "chemicals" is vague and useless. Exactly which chemicals and what are the harmful effects of their use?

I've had the same culture going for over 2 years now using several folded coffee filters in each, I used to use excelsior and filters but now I just use the filters, the cultures do very well and last about 4 weeks each, you can use just about anything non-toxic that gives good surface area, it's just for them to climb on, who cares what it looks like they're ff's man, just ff's? :lol:

I've had the same culture going for over 2 years now using several folded coffee filters in each, I used to use excelsior and filters but now I just use the filters, the cultures do very well and last about 4 weeks each, you can use just about anything non-toxic that gives good surface area, it's just for them to climb on, who cares what it looks like they're ff's man, just ff's? :lol:
OK, I guess so...

...........and you know this how?
We have raffia at our house. Ours has chemicals on it that rub off on your hands every time that it is used. The label had warned us to not let the raffia come into contact with our eyes, and to wash hands after use. The whole chemical/preservitives thing goes the same for some brands and types of moss sold at arts and crafts stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
A claim of "chemicals" is vague and useless. Exactly which chemicals and what are the harmful effects of their use?
...........and you know this how?
It depends on the brand and where it is being imported from; I'm sure that there are clean/natural suppliers out there. Read the labels, do your research.

It depends on the brand and where it is being imported from; I'm sure that there are clean/natural suppliers out there. Read the labels, do your research.
You have a lot to learn about how science is done. The person making the claim is responsible for supporting it with evidence. Again, what chemicals are present and what are the harmful effects from exposure to them?

We have raffia at our house. Ours has chemicals on it that rub off on your hands every time that it is used. The label had warned us to not let the raffia come into contact with our eyes, and to wash hands after use. The whole chemical/preservitives thing goes the same for some brands and types of moss sold at arts and crafts stores.
Did you purchase dyed or painted raffia? Do you still have that label? I'd like to see it.

Latest posts