Ranatra

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslongo

Reaction score
Does anyone keep these?

Ranatra linearis

i15_Ranatra_linearis.jpg

This is a slender type of water-scorpion of the family Nepidae, belonging to the Ranatra genus. The species can grow between 2 & 5 inches long.

It looks like a stick, it lives underwater, it is a predator (look at those raptorial arms) & IT CAN FLY!!! :blink: What's not to love?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a few of them here in Florida, the times I did seem them I was feeding minnows to use for bait and all of a sudden I see them scurry to a good hunting spot.

Used to find them in ponds when I was a kid.

Nice, I found one of these in my horses water trough, it was in the middle of winter and like 30-40 degrees outside when I found it. I kept it for a few days then let it go cause I couldnt get it to eat, later I read theyll eat fruitflys but I never tried them, what do you feed yours?

Nice, I found one of these in my horses water trough, it was in the middle of winter and like 30-40 degrees outside when I found it. I kept it for a few days then let it go cause I couldnt get it to eat, later I read theyll eat fruitflys but I never tried them, what do you feed yours?
I don't think they live in Australia. I would love one, though. We have the traditional fat water scorpions but I don't find them as cool.

I don't think they live in Australia. I would love one, though. We have the traditional fat water scorpions but I don't find them as cool.
My bad. Ranatra dispar is the Australian version. It's called the 'needle bug'. Unfortunately, it has not been verified that it is present in New South Wales, just every state adjacent NSW :( Sydney, where I hail from, is the coastal capital of New South Wales for those who require a quick geography lesson ;) Geh...

I'll be looking in every pond come spring. But that's several months away because I come from opposite land! :D

Does anyone see the appeal in these 'water-mantids?'

Ive always wanted to find one but never have :(

Funnily enough though i found a huge dragon fly larvae today, take a look on the other insects sections :)

Latest posts