randolph alvarado

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baskmantids

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I'm Randolph Alvarado, im 20 and im from lawndale california. I joined the forum in hopes of learning more about raising and breeding praying mantis. As It seems to be the only way to have a species for years. Iv kept reptiles for 10 years so I'm sure the transition won't be to difficult. I've become consumed with how many different species there are, and would hope to learn as much as I can from the forum. I currently have 7 spiny flower mantids (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergi) 3 males and 4 females at l3. I hope to breed them should in start cooling the males and warming the females offering the females more food then the males now?? Or should I wait it'll they are older? Thank you a ahead of time :) and thanks for letting join the forum :) wish I can attach photos but I don't have a macro lens :\

Hello Randolph, welcome to the forum
welcome5.gif

You can start trying to get them at breeding age difference for males/females at anytime before they reach adulthood, but that's up to you. Seems some have luck doing that and others not so much. The best bet likely is to trade/sell off your males now, and then get males later when your females reach sub adults (depending on availability).

Most members don't have a macro lens or fancy photography gear of any kind. Heck the majority of photos anymore are taken with cellphone cameras. ;) So feel free to post photos.

Welcome.

I've never found any need to keep males cooler and fed less than females.

You can start trying to get them at breeding age difference for males/females at anytime before they reach adulthood, but that's up to you. Seems some have luck doing that and others not so much. The best bet likely is to trade/sell off your males now, and then get males later when your females reach sub adults (depending on availability).
i was thinking of putting them all at 80 to 85 degrees fahrenheit till they hit sub sub adult, then separating the males to cool them down to about 75 degrees fahrenheit. i wouldnt want to get rid of my males then have to buy more later, what if there arent any when i need them. and i dont know how to ship mantis so trading and selling isnt an oppertunity for now

Welcome.

I've never found any need to keep males cooler and fed less than females.
i thought there was cuase female moult one more time then males and by the time it take a female to hit her final moult and be able to breed the male will be dead or dying no?

i was thinking of putting them all at 80 to 85 degrees fahrenheit till they hit sub sub adult, then separating the males to cool them down to about 75 degrees fahrenheit. i wouldnt want to get rid of my males then have to buy more later, what if there arent any when i need them. and i dont know how to ship mantis so trading and selling isnt an oppertunity for now
Can't really comment on how to keep them in regards to breeding as I've never done it myself yet; however, what I have read says keep the males on the low end of the heat scale.

Of course this will vary depending on species, in your case the temperature is between 77 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit (25-30 Celsius) with the ideal temp of about 79 degrees.

Here is a quote from the site link I gave about breeding them..

This species is not very easy breed, but if you have experience with other species it is possible. The female can be very aggressive, so make sure it has eaten enough when male is introduced to her enclosure.
I will say if Rick says it's not necessary to try the heat trick I wouldn't bother with it, he knows what he is talking about. ;)

Latest posts