Random stupid food question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schloaty

Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals,

I'm sitting here at work, and the oddest notion came to me, for no good reason.

Has anyone yet bred flightless house/bluebottle/greenbottle flies? You know, like the flightless fruit flies you can get in the pet store?

I guess they would be called housewalks, then...not houseflies!

I believe I have seen one type or another that had crinkle wings or something like that.

Yeah, Orin, and Tony, the guy who was raising an orchid (H. coronatus!) in a vivarium. I've produced blue bottles with crumpled wings by having them eclose in a confined space. It works quite well but not with houseflies for some reason.

it would take alot of flies and mating mutated BBs and HFs with mutated wings then mated those over and over again until you get a generation with messed up non flight abled wings, which would probably take years, instead of months like FF's

NOT POSITIVE, i have no idea if what i said is even right, just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Orin, and Tony, the guy who was raising an orchid (H. coronatus!) in a vivarium. I've produced blue bottles with crumpled wings by having them eclose in a confined space. It works quite well but not with houseflies for some reason.
I get those guys often in my bluebottles. Usually happens more to the older ones when they eclose.

Interesting....so it seems that it's more of an inherrited suspetablity to having the wings dammaged rather than an actual inherrited wing trait.

it would take alot of flies and mating mutated BBs and HFs with mutated wings then mated those over and over again until you get a generation with messed up non flight abled wings, which would probably take years, instead of months like FF's
Well, that may very well be true....but breeders of DOGS have bred all different breeds....though that's not a fair comparisson as flies have not been in culture for thousands of years!

Well I, for one, certainly DON'T have the required patience....That's for sure!

Actually, at optimal temperatures, house flies don't take much longer than D. hydei to complete their life cycle. As Doug suggests, though, it takes time and effort to develop, and "fix" a mutant strain. Fruit flies are commercially valuable research tools, and house flies are not. Wingless fruit flies made the management of these critters much easier. No one except hobbyists, perhaps, cares whether house flies can fly or not.
sad.gif

No one except hobbyists, perhaps, cares whether house flies can fly or not.
Hey Phil, you are a font of entomological wisdom and knowledge...so you obviously have a stake in this...so get on it, man!

:lol: :lol:

:detective:

Latest posts