Rarest species you guys/gals keep?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flowgan

Reaction score
I was wondering whats the rarest species you mantis lovers keep?

How hard are they to keep? How awesome are they? How did you find them?

Since I don't know the names to well, if you can add a pic that would be awesome! But if not it doesn't matter.

Logan

well it depends on you're perspective of rare, becuase in terms of the culture here, Choeradodis would be pretty rare, but in the world, pretty much any mantis is rare when the species is only at the start, but all it usually takes is one successful generation and its established, so in that case it would be any new species..... I guess. Hope that helps

Right now I am keeping truncata, which i guess isnt that rare. But it isnt very frequent in this hobby.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28503&st=0

Scroll down towards the middle. She is the in the first set of pics you will see.

I consider her very very cool. She will attack anything in sight and loves to play. Except mine is acting like a little b**** because it attacked my finger when I was trying to get her ooth out of her old cage and into a hatching container... Well I guess she didnt want her babies to leave her.

Well it's rare in US culture, but not at all in the UK, but Miomantis Binotata (African Pinstripe Mantis)

https://www.google.com/search?q=miomantis+binotata&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=X95JUYKMBuOtiQKJu4HIBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1635&bih=847#imgrc=BEJzbl2d7XfGxM%3A%3BsuyP7dfWeE2TmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Figm.mantisonline.info%252Figm-images%252F226%252Ffemale%252520adult.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Figm.mantisonline.info%252Fview%252Findex.php%253Fanchor%253Dgenus_value_select%2526lan%253Den%2526first_id%253D1%2526where_subspecies%253D4%252C38%252C106%252C107%252C110%252C115%252C185%3B789%3B644

MBinotataD70good5_zps986c0837.jpg

Here's a pic of the male Trans-Am gave me that made me decide to get more

MBinotataD70good6_zps52353c90.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well it depends on you're perspective of rare, becuase in terms of the culture here, Choeradodis would be pretty rare, but in the world, pretty much any mantis is rare when the species is only at the start, but all it usually takes is one successful generation and its established, so in that case it would be any new species..... I guess. Hope that helps
The Choeradodis is incredibly hard to keep alive and breed though. Species like that tend to stay rare no matter how long they spend in the hobby because most people don't end up succcesful with them.

I'd say the mantis that I own that the least amount of other people own would be Mesopteryx alata. Not because its hard, just that its new.

a few months ago i had Parymenopus davisoni, along with a few other members. Sadly, she mated then got eggbound from a parasite

can't say what my rarest would be, and even then I wouldn't put it on a pedistal above the others. I love them all. In most hobbies when this thread shows up its just to create a shopping list of whats saught after for new breeders to gather up in hopes of making it big.

I know that happens sometimes in reptiles. The more rare, or hard to produce the more people want to have it just for breeding?

I love learning about all kinds of animals. So i ask a lot of questions to try and learn lots. My parents keep telling me i do it to find usless info to tell everybody, lol.

If i ever do keep a "rare" species it would be for just one perpose. To keep and watch it.

Its also very cool to learn people are still finding/producing new and not so common mantids so much!!

Logan

I don't have any species that are considered rare. Species come and go in culture, but at the moment, the ones I have that seem to be less common in the US right now are Blepharopsis mendica, Heterochaeta orientalis (was given one nymph...now is an adult), Parymenopus davisoni, Mesopteryx alata and Archimantis latistyla.

Latest posts