RDS: Random Death Syndrome

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
I feel like some mantis species are prone to “RDS” random death syndrome (just created this acronym lol). What are some ideas that we can help alleviate this pain. My thoughts are:

1) Food isn’t as clean as you think it is.

2) maybe just bad genetics?

3) maybe a nutrient deficiency?

4) bacteria problem.

I read too often and I’ve fallen to this where your mantis looks completely fine, but then it just dies and there’s no real explanation leaving the owner confused and upset. Wondering if you all can weigh in with ideas and thoughts as to mantids randomly and how can we help prevent it in the future. Cheers!

Random Death Syndrome sounds about right. 

I'll add a few:

5) Accidental chemical exposure 

6) Dirty or chlorinated water (the latter especially for beginners)

7) Unhealthy prey

- MantisGirl13 

Last edited by a moderator:
All of those could potentially cause the death of a mantis. Nice acronym. :)

I have had RDS happen to several mantises over the years. I would say for Chinese mantises it could be bad genetics. I am pretty sure bad genes were the cause of many a hatching deaths of my Chinese mantises over the years. Sometimes even whole egg cases failing to survive. Also I have had Giant Asian mantises drop dead for literally no reason (my suspicion was bacterial problem of some sort or humidity? no idea!). But yes RDS seems to happen well randomly without a real concrete reason, at least that we can see sometimes.

Two more could be:

8 ) mold

9 ) inadequate ventilation causing to low or too high humidity

Adding onto the genetics topic: 

Natural selection plays a big role in these animals' lives, they lay ooths with so many nymphs because the majority die for one reason or another. Even in captivity, we can remove external threats but genetics are always something that will be a dice roll for these animals. Occasionally, you'll get a nymph from a batch that is just not as strong as its siblings to make it to adulthood, and that is just the nature of these insects and many others

well reading this makes me feel a little better, been getting a lot lately especially chinese, only 2 adults survived from an ooth a while ago. I recently just lost 2 adult orchids no idea why.  

Latest posts