*Red Alert for all exotic pet keepers in us*

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griever

Reaction score
There is a Congressional Hearing on April 23 that could result in the banning of ALL non-native species (exotic pets)

We can thank all those Animal rights exteremists for this bill :angry: I just learned of this bill today.....did anyone else know about this? This is going to be devastating for those small business owners! Does H.R. 669 even have a chance of passing?

I think i might hold off on that purchase of that new baby day gecko <_<

heres a youtube video with more information*warning it has music*

There is a Congressional Hearing on April 23 that could result in the banning of ALL non-native species (exotic pets)We can thank all those Animal rights exteremists for this bill :angry: I just learned of this bill today.....did anyone else know about this? This is going to be devastating for those small business owners! Does H.R. 669 even have a chance of passing?

heres a youtube video with more information*warning it has music*

We need to find the person ultimately in charge of writing this bill and/or getting it passed. We need to get to that persons home and drop as many mantid's, spiders, and roaches into their home!

Orin told me about this a while ago I really hope it does not pass.

There is a Congressional Hearing on April 23 that could result in the banning of ALL non-native species (exotic pets)

We can thank all those Animal rights exteremists for this bill :angry: I just learned of this bill today.....did anyone else know about this? This is going to be devastating for those small business owners! Does H.R. 669 even have a chance of passing?

Ah Griever! A promo on YouTube (with music!) sponsered by th Pet Industry Advisory Council! Yes, there will be a Congressional (committee) Hearing on the 23rd, but that is not legislative action. And as always, The People Will Decide! Well not the people, exactly, but rather the conflicting interests of two Humane Societies and The Pet Industry. My money is on the latter, though both are using "scare tactics" to get people like yourself, Griever to panic. Have you read the outline of the proposed bill? It is readily available. Google is your friend!

How long does a "baby day gecko" live? Importation of banned species would not be curtailed until three years after the passing of the bill, IF it were to pass, and your not-so-baby-any-more gecko would be exempt, so enjoy. In fact, buy a pair, and make a fortune when the ban goes into effect!

Incidentally, you may want to go to Congresswoman Madeline Bordallo's official website to see what she thinks of H.R. 669. It won't take you very long!

We need to find the person ultimately in charge of writing this bill and/or getting it passed. We need to get to that persons home and drop as many mantid's, spiders, and roaches into their home!
It's a long walk to Guam! And if this issue is so important to you, why don't you know her name already? The poor dear does not even represent a state, but a congressional district! She's still trying to get revenge on the brown tree snakes brought to Guam sixty years ago! She is not our most influentiial congressperson.

I'm sorry if I sound seriously irritated by all this, but I am a Resident Alien, and if I have an idea of what's going on, why don't citizens who hold the power of their vote?

While there are some instances of released pets leading to established populations (see the pythons in Florida...), most so-called "dangerous", i. e. invasive species of North America were introduced either incidentally or purposely by 1. agroforestry companies and instititions, 2. ballast waters of ships, 3. hunters or, as in case of the brown snake, the 4. US army. Of course it's much simpler to blame the hobbyists... ;) Feed the masses, and you'll win elections...

We have a similar discussion over here, mostly set in place by radical animal rights activists. Unfortunately, some politicians are stupid enough to follow their advices. Some regional laws already exist which restrict the keeping and breeding of "dangerous" (in this case to humans) species. Their list is somewhat ridiculous. It's in fact just a combination of stupidity, idioty and "feeding the masses". By the way, such oh so cool stupid youtube videos showing animals fighting against each other also helped those parties very much. At least in this case the hobbyists should look in a mirror and admit that it was partially their own fault. This applies also very much to all those releasing turtles, snakes or bull-frogs where they don't belong to!

By the way, such oh so cool stupid youtube videos showing animals fighting against each other also helped those parties very much. At least in this case the hobbyists should look in a mirror and admit that it was partially their own fault.
I couldn't have said it better myself Christian. I've always said this will be the biggest threat to this hobby, particularly when it involves invertebrates eating vertebrates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn right, solfugids eating lizards, orchid mantids eating fish for example <_<

This is no good. While I agree that we shouldn't be collecting certain species from the wild to become pets I do not agree with the rest. However there is a problem in FL with non native species.

[... both are using "scare tactics" to get people like yourself, Griever to panic. ...gecko would be exempt, so enjoy. In fact, buy a pair, and make a fortune when the ban goes into effect!
PIJAC is understating the frightening aspects of the proposed bill. Every animal not on the 'good list' shipped across state lines or bred would incur a prison term of up to five years per animal using the Lacey Act. Definitive evidence would be required to prove the gecko was purchased prior. This would include most aquarium fish and many other pets as each species would require a large fee to be considered for listing.

PIJAC says the main organizations pushing the bill are the Humane Society and The Nature Conservancy. I imagine a lot of animal lovers who donate to these organizations don't realize what they're giving to.

This sounds like more unenforceable bs to me. Yeah, lets fire all the border patrol and homeland security and make them all Pet Police! That's should be our REAL priority in these challenging times (not) - i hope a brown snake bites that legislator from Guam right on her big butt! Also, why is the Humane Society working on passing this? Shouldnt they be busy euthenizing dogs or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that this is a mantis forum, and not primarily concerned with reptiles, but doesn't anyone want to do anything about this except complain? Everyone knows (should know, they told you in High School!) that most bills that are introduced are never passed, particularly one like this, from a minor committee (five Democratic members are not even state congresspersons, but represent various American colonies! :lol: ) that is opposed by a biggish industry. Also, they will find it hard to offer telling evidence to the hearing. That doesn't mean that you should sit on your hands, though. If you really care, do something!

Start by going here: http://www.arbreptiles.com/lastword/legislation.shtml !

One thing that I don't think is mentioned on the site. At the moment, it is not a good idea to send Emails to Washington. Write, fax or phone, instead.

Actually, Arkanis, illegal importation of reptiles (more common than you might think, right, Orin?) already falls under the jurisdiction of ICE, even if the contraband is discovered by F&W. This law would close down reptile dealers but would be next to impossible to enforce on a one-to-one basis except that without dealer support the hobby would eventually dty up.

That sounds bad, i am not sure about canada but i know mantids and roaches are banned. Even though i have both :D shhhhhhhhhhhh

I know that this is a mantis forum, and not primarily concerned with reptiles
The law includes all animals: tropical fish, mantids, reptiles, etc. It doesn't have to be 'enforceable' if they toss a few people in jail for twenty years as examples.

This is what happens when non-lawyers write legislation. I expect this law would have the unintended consequence of encouraging mass release of exotic pets into suburbs and city parks! brilliant...

C'mon guys, if someone is sent to jail for 20 years because he had 4 mantids you will certainly have more serious problems over there than pet keeping...

Latest posts