Red liquid excretion

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlasorsa

Reaction score
So, my sub-adult chinese mantis decided to stop eating about 4 days ago, and has become very lethargic. I was hoping is was getting ready to molt, and based on a lot of the stories on here about pre-molting drama, I knew I just needed to wait it out. Then, today, it began to excrete a droplet of red liquid. Not enough has been produced to make it drop off the mantis, the droplet is just hanging there, and so is the mantis. It seems to not be interested in anything. Any thoughts? I read somewhere that sometimes butterflies and other moths excrete a red liquid after they change from a caterpillar to a butterfly, and that the liquid is called meconium. It is supposed to be leftover pigments and proteins used to make the wings. Is is possible that my mantis is about to undergo its final molt, and that is what this stuff is? I am hoping it is not some sort of infection, and I have read on here that red poo will clear itself up usually. Any help would be appreciated!

My Chinese didn't excrete any liquid before their last molts. They did pump thier abdomens steadily for a couple of days, like they were trying to poop out all their frass before the molt. :lol: My females butts were wide open for that couple of days before molting, I could actually see their equipment quite clearly. :eek:

Mantids don't release anything before molting. Probably not well.

Today I went out for a walk and, when I came back, one of my D. lobatas was dead. :( It had some red ooze excreting out of it. Like your Chinese, I realized that it didn't have much of an appetite like my other Dead Leaf, though it would still eat a little bit...

So, today, the red liquid has dried up on his "butt". The amount produced was not enough to drop off the mantis. He is still hanging there, with his abdomen throbbing. I put him in the sun, and now his abdomen is really pumping quickly. I am worried about trying to give him water because he only has two legs holding him onto the branch he's hanging from and I'm afraid he'll fall. Man I hope he snaps out of this soon, it's been 5 days since he ate. Thanks for the replies!

I do hope you put it out of it's misery by now? Your mantis will not recover. Putting it in the sun was not a good idea. The reason it's abdomen is pumping even faster is because it's over heating.