Red Popa Experiment

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
After agent A's post of "popa red baron" I have been wanting to get to know why this occured and whether it could be replicated. My hope is to be able to grow several nymphs of this coloration, and do selective breeding, to see i this influences the offsprings' colors in any way. Here is how I hope to achieve that:

I would raise several nymphs in a 16 (later 32) oz. deli cup, with 70-80% humidity, and 80-90 degree fahrenheit temperatures. To attempt to influence their red color, I would also put some dawn redwood twigs in the enclosure as well. The lighting, heating, and habitat would be constant. To act as a control, I would put a few nymphs in a 16 (later 32) oz. deli cup with less humidity and less heat. This would show it under less abnormal situations.

Does this sound stupid? Are their any suggestions for this experiment being?

Seems like if they turn red due to environmental factors then breeding red ones together wouldn't produce more red ones.

I was thinking about doing this with Alex a couple of months ago. I would go for it if I were you :)

Agent A sent me an ooth which I am now waiting to hatch. A few of my breeding stock will be the nymphs that are raised in these environments, plus those I'm REALLY hoping that reach adult.

As for the rest: FOR SALE once they reach L1-L2ish!

After agent A's post of "popa red baron" I have been wanting to get to know why this occured and whether it could be replicated. My hope is to be able to grow several nymphs of this coloration, and do selective breeding, to see i this influences the offsprings' colors in any way. Here is how I hope to achieve that:

I would raise several nymphs in a 16 (later 32) oz. deli cup, with 70-80% humidity, and 80-90 degree fahrenheit temperatures. To attempt to influence their red color, I would also put some dawn redwood twigs in the enclosure as well. The lighting, heating, and habitat would be constant. To act as a control, I would put a few nymphs in a 16 (later 32) oz. deli cup with less humidity and less heat. This would show it under less abnormal situations.

Does this sound stupid? Are their any suggestions for this experiment being?
just so u know, the female popa i sent u is the red baron popa

did she lose her red colors??

I was thinking about doing this with Alex a couple of months ago. I would go for it if I were you :)
did u get your popas to breed??

It is a good idea but I would not choose that species to experiment with.They can show too much variations among specimens coming from the same ooth:more or less cryptic shape,color,size....

I suppose she might look reddish under different lighting conditions than I have. In my opinion, in the time that I've had her, she's looked pretty brown or grey.

What sort of popa numbers are you gonna be using?i did a colour test with 30nymphs last year an found that I didn't have enough at all! Hopefully you have a nice large hatch!

Well, I don't want too many since I generally SUCK with too many mouths to feed. I may not even keep 30 nymphs for my personal stock. I just find those numbers (for my 12 year old brain) overwhelming to keep car of, besides making sure that I keep up with schoolwork. With smaller numbers, I can make sure that I pay more personal attention to them.

Last edited by a moderator: