Red Wasps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraMG

Reaction score
Had one of these on the glass storm door and I figured I would never have another opportunity to photograph a live wasp's belly. I love what it's eyes look like!

IMGP6002.jpg

IMGP6000.jpg

very nice shot. not sure I ever saw a wasp that close. :flowers: (go wings) :)
I know I've never seen a wasp that close! I used to hang with them when I lived at my mom's and smoked. It was just unavoidable, but if one comes near me I scream like a little girl!
laugh.gif
I did a little more research on them and they're a variety of paper wasp, Polistes sp.

You've actually caught these??
blink.gif
I entertained the idea for about 3 seconds and then slapped myself for even considering it! **shudder**
I've caught them and she is right. For a mantis there isn't much to em. Also most of the body is really hard.

There's only one way to kill those bastards: fire.

Yes, I would catch them and throw them into fire.

Good pictures, hate the bug.

Great pics!

I have some good macro footage of a wasp:

May even be the same species, but that would be a tough call without seeing its back.

Thanks yeatzee! After watching the video I can tell that it's not the same species. They're similar, within the same genus I'm sure, but slightly different in their markings on their back. I know those wasps better than I'd like to admit. They've been around my mom's house for a long time, and I used to smoke A LOT, so I would get lots of looking time with them :lol:

Latest posts