Religiosa Mating Stand-still

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaManda

Reaction score
We found another female adult Religiosa today, and I decided to try my hand at getting her to mate with one of my males. I put both of them in his cage and she immediately snatched his grasshopper and began eating. The male moved over and hopped on her back, but just sat there as she ate. I read Rick's mating sticky, and blew on him a few times, which got him twisting and trying to connect, but he never did. He finally gave up, and just sat there as she ate. She finished her lunch and carried him around the top of the cage for awhile. He quit responding to me blowing on him. She took another grasshopper, and is currently having her second snack as he just sits. She doesn't bend her abdomen toward him, and seems almost to not know he's there.

Should I take him off, or leave him and make sure he doesn't get eaten?

Is she not responding to him because she's busy eating, and he might have better luck when she finishes her lunch?

She's a bit fatter than the other female I have...can they mate more than once? (Wondering if she's already been mated and that's why he's just sitting?)

Might it take awhile for him to get going, or is he just not ready??

Not all the time do the males mate right away. Give them some time. I would keep feeding the female till full. Better chance for him not to get eaten this way. Of course that is not always the case. Good luck! :)

Actually, him getting ate may work out to your advantage. I know that once the head of a male mantis is under attack, it's abdomen starts undergoing the copulatory movements. I'm not saying he's waiting to get eaten, I'm just saying that him getting ate may not be as bad, unless of course he's your only male.

It looks to me like the size difference between europeans I collected in aug compared to september somewhat is the cause of mating failure. It seems like the different lengths makes it hard for the mating to work out.

But, ya, sometimes he can sit there for 12 or more hours before he gets properly started. Then again, sometimes he may never get started.

It looks to me like the size difference between europeans I collected in aug compared to september somewhat is the cause of mating failure. It seems like the different lengths makes it hard for the mating to work out.

But, ya, sometimes he can sit there for 12 or more hours before he gets properly started. Then again, sometimes he may never get started.
Mrs Manda are you 100% sure that you have a male...8 abdominal segments, long antennae, and smaller head. As for the question of her already being big and already mated, I mate my Religiosa mulitple times. Especially when my girls are big, days away from laying an ooth and busting at the seams. I mate them again 3-4 days after laying their Ooth just to ensure complete fertilization. The reason I ask if you are 100% sure is because I made the mistake of putting a skinny little female in with one of my larger females....Gee I wonder why they are not mating? Duh! So it happens.

Getting a new male ready:

Males, especially freshly caught males are skittish, especially if they are agitated from being handled or feel threatened. They need at least 72 hours after being caught to settle down. Do not attempt to mate him until he has eaten a couple of flies and been watered for a couple of days. Freshly caught males might be freaked out and not eat for a day or two, don't worry, just stick a house fly or two in with him, eventually he will eat. Boil some water on a low simmer for 20 minutes to remove any chlorine, let it cool to room temperature and place it in clean (never had soap or chemicals in it) spray bottle. Give him a couple of days to settle down and make sure to take him out everyday for at least 30 minutes in a small room with a house plant and let him fly around (cover vents). Males need a lot of water spray down the plant so the leaves are covered in water droplets, place him on it, then lightly spray above him. He will either place his head down and drink from the water droplets directly off the leaves or preen himself collecting water from his coxae (front legs). You may also notice he will raise his coxae up in the air to collect the sprayed water as it falls. Be patient, sometimes they don't immediately drink. A calm well-adjusted, fed, and watered adult male will spring into action when given the chance.

Mating Area:

How big is the area for mating ie. a shoebox size housing, a laundry sized box, an open room? I use an 18 gallon Roughneck tote and put a deer antler in the middle. The female needs something to walk up and perch on something to cling onto in a downward position. If you are sticking the male into the females housing, especially a male that you just caught it maybe too freaked out to give the effort 100%.

If you have a laundry sized box, use it and gently place your male inside. If he tries to fly out or freaks out, just wait until he perches and calms down. Then place your already fed female about 6 inches in front of him, preferably facing in the opposite direction. Her movements will immediately draw his attention, he will approach timidly, after a couple of minutes he will get closer, then with a short (flying) hop he mount the female, most time backwards, no worries he will figure it out and right himself. Mating generally takes about 4-5 hours. Your female if well fed will be more than hospitable, will not kill your male, and will remain like statue during and after the mating.

About an hour after mating take you male out of his housing and give him a 30 minute water break. As well make sure there is a feeder in with the female when you place her back into her housing....mating makes them hungry.

Different sizes between sexes:

My experience so far is it makes no difference, small female large male, large male small female, if all other conditions are correct they will mate and the male will easily survive the ordeal. I think the biggest thing is for both to be well-fed, hydrated, calm, and in an environment suited for mating.

All of my Religiosas are wild, I have never lost a male and I have never had an unsuccessful mating...except for trying to mate 2 females...yeah..that didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs Manda are you 100% sure that you have a male...
Well, she said "The male moved over and hopped on her back, but just sat there as she ate."

If you have experience with a female climbing on another females back I think you might have publication material there. For my own belief, it looks to me like Mrs Manda knows the genders well enough.

Well, she said "The male moved over and hopped on her back, but just sat there as she ate."

If you have experience with a female climbing on another females back I think you might have publication material there. For my own belief, it looks to me like Mrs Manda knows the genders well enough.
I had the same thing happen, because I was trying to get what I thought was the male onto the female by prodding her. They were both freaking out and trying to climb the side of the tote. I posted it on here and even noted that "he" (mistaken) mounted her a couple of times but stopped and would not pursue her. All I'm saying is, it happens.

Mrs Manda are you 100% sure that you have a male...8 abdominal segments, long antennae, and smaller head. As for the question of her already being big and already mated, I mate my Religiosa mulitple times. Especially when my girls are big, days away from laying an ooth and busting at the seams. I mate them again 3-4 days after laying their Ooth just to ensure complete fertilization. The reason I ask if you are 100% sure is because I made the mistake of putting a skinny little female in with one of my larger females....Gee I wonder why they are not mating? Duh! So it happens.

Getting a new male ready:

Males, especially freshly caught males are skittish, especially if they are agitated from being handled or feel threatened. They need at least 72 hours after being caught to settle down. Do not attempt to mate him until he has eaten a couple of flies and been watered for a couple of days. Freshly caught males might be freaked out and not eat for a day or two, don't worry, just stick a house fly or two in with him, eventually he will eat. Boil some water on a low simmer for 20 minutes to remove any chlorine, let it cool to room temperature and place it in clean (never had soap or chemicals in it) spray bottle. Give him a couple of days to settle down and make sure to take him out everyday for at least 30 minutes in a small room with a house plant and let him fly around (cover vents). Males need a lot of water spray down the plant so the leaves are covered in water droplets, place him on it, then lightly spray above him. He will either place his head down and drink from the water droplets directly off the leaves or preen himself collecting water from his coxae (front legs). You may also notice he will raise his coxae up in the air to collect the sprayed water as it falls. Be patient, sometimes they don't immediately drink. A calm well-adjusted, fed, and watered adult male will spring into action when given the chance.

Mating Area:

How big is the area for mating ie. a shoebox size housing, a laundry sized box, an open room? I use an 18 gallon Roughneck tote and put a deer antler in the middle. The female needs something to walk up and perch on something to cling onto in a downward position. If you are sticking the male into the females housing, especially a male that you just caught it maybe too freaked out to give the effort 100%.

If you have a laundry sized box, use it and gently place your male inside. If he tries to fly out or freaks out, just wait until he perches and calms down. Then place your already fed female about 6 inches in front of him, preferably facing in the opposite direction. Her movements will immediately draw his attention, he will approach timidly, after a couple of minutes he will get closer, then with a short (flying) hop he mount the female, most time backwards, no worries he will figure it out and right himself. Mating generally takes about 4-5 hours. Your female if well fed will be more than hospitable, will not kill your male, and will remain like statue during and after the mating.

About an hour after mating take you male out of his housing and give him a 30 minute water break. As well make sure there is a feeder in with the female when you place her back into her housing....mating makes them hungry.

Different sizes between sexes:

My experience so far is it makes no difference, small female large male, large male small female, if all other conditions are correct they will mate and the male will easily survive the ordeal. I think the biggest thing is for both to be well-fed, hydrated, calm, and in an environment suited for mating.

All of my Religiosas are wild, I have never lost a male and I have never had an unsuccessful mating...except for trying to mate 2 females...yeah..that didn't work.
No offense but there is so many issues with the above "guide" I won't even try to cover it. The behavior noted in the first post is very common. Females don't really do anything but accept the male when he makes the connection. Size is not an issue so just forget about it. Males are often longer than females, that is normal. Your male attempted to mate. If that happens you can just leave them be and eventually he will probably make it happen, or you can try again later.

Mrs Manda are you 100% sure that you have a male...
Yup, he WAS a male. :(

He eventually got off, so I took him out and tried the table top approach. He would move towards her, make a futile attempt to climb on...then get off. So I put him away for the night. I got him back out this morning and put him back in the females cage after I had given her a hopper. I watched them for awhile, and when I left them, he was on her...kinda...but all sideways. Guess that should have been my first clue. His head was within easy reach. I came back and saw a mess of wings on the top of the cage and knew he was a goner. :( I think she had JUST got a hold of him, and I thought about trying to save him, but I think it was already too late. I am SO disappointed!!! I do have another male. But he was my biggest and prettiest.

It's probably just a hormonal response on my part, but I'm tempted to put her back in the field that we found her in. Husband-eater.

WHOA. I just looked at them again, and his headless body is connected!!!! That's really creepy. She was munching on him for awhile before he got connected! I guess you were right, MantidLord. Just wish he'd survived.

Guess I'll keep her now...and hopefully have some of his babies. Ha Ha.

No offense but there is so many issues with the above "guide" I won't even try to cover it. The behavior noted in the first post is very common. Females don't really do anything but accept the male when he makes the connection. Size is not an issue so just forget about it. Males are often longer than females, that is normal. Your male attempted to mate. If that happens you can just leave them be and eventually he will probably make it happen, or you can try again later.
Not offended Rick just sharing my experiences Rick, not professing it to be a "guide".

When I read where you said she got him I was going to say if his body is there you can move it into position to connect. It doesn't always work, but I have done it a time or two. Looks like in your case everything is working out even though he is a goner.

Latest posts