Reproduction without males?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
Hi again

Can/do all species of mantids reproduce without males if needed? Fact? Myth? I'm not sure, but I bet someone out there knows! :)

Kris

All females will lay ooth but if unmated they will be infertile. BUT if she is mated you will have fertile ooth. Heres is the catch, Some species lay fertile ooth without mating like Grass mantis. I hope this helps!

Brunneria Borealis is the only species i know that can guarantee fertile ooth without mating. I have been searching for this species since the "mass discovery" 2 years ago.

Well Iris oratoria can produce fertile ooths without males, but the chances of it being fertile is very very low. If it actually does hatch it would be all females.

I have a paper that says that Miomantis paykullii does lay non-fertile ooths that produce low numbers of females. These females tend to be smaller then ave. and have higher mortality. I have heard/read that Iris oratoria and Mantis religiosa may be capable of this as well. However, these unfertile ooth take much longer to hatch out then normal. So it may be very common, just most poeple dump the ooth too soon as they assume it is "no good". Maybe incubating for a few more months might actually produce a few nymphs.

Wow--the timing of the posts was funny--perhaps many of us think alike, on some bizarre but very cool level! lol

The reason of my initial post was due to the fact that I have a Nigerian female that just produced an ooth...but I'm almost 100% positive that the only male I had didn't get to connect with the lucky lady before he passed away...

...so what does everyone suggest? How long of an incubation period is demanded, and how long is too long to cross fingers and wait?

I'll use the search tool and do a bit more research as well on this aspect of this particular species. I haven't had the chance to do my homework today, so to speak--I was certainly caught by surprise to see the ooth this morning!

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

Kris

Wow--the timing of the posts was funny--perhaps many of us think alike, on some bizarre but very cool level! lolThe reason of my initial post was due to the fact that I have a Nigerian female that just produced an ooth...but I'm almost 100% positive that the only male I had didn't get to connect with the lucky lady before he passed away...

...so what does everyone suggest? How long of an incubation period is demanded, and how long is too long to cross fingers and wait?

I'll use the search tool and do a bit more research as well on this aspect of this particular species. I haven't had the chance to do my homework today, so to speak--I was certainly caught by surprise to see the ooth this morning!

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

Kris
otths mean nothing to be honest, the females will produce these even if not fertile, donest mean it will hatch.

I would say keep them until the female dies and then another month see if they do anything (if you really want to).. but dont expect it to happen ;)

Latest posts