Residue from mating.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaunte

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mated my Popa spurca last night, and separated them this morning. Mating was a success, and they were hanging out when I went to remove the female.

I noticed she had a whitish substance sitting on her genital region. It had the look of a piece of wet hot glue.

I have never mated this species before or have seen any residue from the mantises I have mated before. Is this a concern that fertilization was not successful?

Attachments

• IMG_9825.jpeg
    IMG_9825.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I have had those sperm packets come out of the female or male. The sperm packets were empty when I saw them, so in those cases I think the females were fertilized. It has happened with my P. wahlbergii and Hierodula venosa.

I have had those sperm packets come out of the female or male. The sperm packets were empty when I saw them, so in those cases I think the females were fertilized. It has happened with my P. wahlbergii and Hierodula venosa.
Darn. I should save it so I can figure out if it was empty or not.

We have success!
I know they’re supposed to produce large quantities of babies, but for some reason I was still shocked. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
They are a lot of fun already. Today was their first feeding. It’s always so exciting to see them eat for the first time in their lives.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts